front discs

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ross
My Cars:

front discs

Post by Ross »

Morning all - its a '98 406 diesel estate 1.9td

just had a look for some front discs on Europarts - nearly choked as they are listed at £38 + vat EACH - my old granada was about £20 a pair - is this about right for Peugeot discs or is there somewhere to get a better price\quality.

I have also read a few posts elsewhere regarding brake judder - is there a preferred manufacturer for the discs and pads as It would be annoying to spend the money and end up with judder.

One last thing - anyone got a diagram of the front and rear suspension so I can see the general layout and bushes etc

Thanks all
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I bought Brembo rotors off Fleabay from a large volume seller. The dearest pair were about £79 - from memory the 288×28mm four hole ones.

Pattern bits of a "second string" branding should set you back less than 2/3 this amount.

Try this Ebay search string. Hey, it even shows you an advert with the EBC chicky in a red rubber catsuit. :lol:
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Price seems about right. I usually used to fit genuine, when not it was normally Apec stuff, never had a problem really.

Regarding suspension, as you say 1.9TD its older shape so that's D8:

I don't appear to have *any* rear suspension / body etc diagrams at all for some reason for any 406 and very little front. Obviously there's wishbones etc too.

There's not a there really though at the back. :D Favourite issues are probably the rear droplinks or the arms (arms will give movement in wheels and cause odd tyre wear) , take care when changing as eccentric nut for camber.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i bought discs (288mm) pads for my R reg 1.9TD XANTabout 6 or so months ago from GSF, cost me trade around £100 quid for the lot,

regards malcolm
ex-vaux
My Cars:

Post by ex-vaux »

Bought some off ebay recently for £25.00 (+ £14.00 p&p) for discs and pads.

Easy enough to swap, you may need to remove the caliper and carrier from the hub by undoing the two large torx nuts at the back of the unit to be able to get the old disc off.

If the new pads are a snug fit or wont go into the caliper properly you may need to just file a bit off each end of the pads.
00 406 2.0 Est GLX auto 166789 miles
95 Xantia SX TD 135660 miles
Triumph Sprint 900
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Almost certainly carriage will need to come off for discs on this model. Earlier ones have normal bolts 19mm I think, later are torx.

Good point about filing, I always used to spend a few minutes cleaning all the stuff out of the carriage in a vice when I took it off, not many others bothered I think but it really helped avoid pads sticking etc.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i also alway clean any rust/crap from the carrier/s to make sure the pads move freely,

regards malcolm