1990 mk2 Xantia 1.9td clutch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

reservex
My Cars:

1990 mk2 Xantia 1.9td clutch

Post by reservex »

I have had a new clutch fitted 400 miles ago, the clutch pedal has about 2 inches free play before any action on the clutch, therefore i have to push the pedal right down to disengage/engage. The pedal sometimes stays down a few seconds before returning to the correct postion. Are these cables self adjusting or can they be manually adjusted, or is the cable shot ? Any help appreciated
1999 Xantia Estate 1.9TD
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Easy way to tell is to look at the gearbox end of the clutch cable. If it has a threaded inner with two nuts on it then it's a manual adjuster. Conversely if it is just a flat plate on the end of the cable it's an auto adjuster...

I'm afraid I know nothing of the auto adjustment type and if/how the auto adjuster can be reset.

If a manual adjuster, adjust the cable so there is a six inch gap between the pedal rubber and the floor. Then fine adjust to get the bite point where you want it.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
reservex
My Cars:

Post by reservex »

Thanks Jim, i will have a look
1999 Xantia Estate 1.9TD