C5 II drivers seat

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gilern

C5 II drivers seat

Post by gilern »

Hi all,

I'm having problems with my drivers seat feeling loose. I took the seat out at the weekend and discovered the lower tube on the frame is cracked and has come away on the side of the height adjustment.

It looks as though this could be welded by way of repair. I was hoping to be able to remove the back and squab from the seat and take the stripped frame in to get welded. Is there anything to be wary of in doing this, any special tools needed? Once disconnected is there any need to remove the air bags from the seat back and if so any precautions?

Finally if I do strip the seat out is it possible to use the passenger seat as a temporary drivers seat or will the lack of connected airbags upset the system? I appreciate the seat belt clasp will be in the wrong place.

Many thanks

Neil
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

If it's like earlier models, you may well be able to mount the slides onto the passenger seat. That will locate the seat belt buckle correctly, and allow you to plug in the airbags/sensors.

While the passenger seat space is empty, I'd be inclined to gaffa tape together a donor airbag, seat pressure sensor and a buckle. This bundle can then be plugged in to satisfy the computer.

Biggest likely catch with seat swaps is turning the ignition on with airbags or sensors disconnected. On a Xantia there are no lingering problems but on a C5 it may store the fault until cleared by Lexia...
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Personally, I wouldn't think of welding without removing the airbags :shock:
In my limited experience, the height adjustment mechanism is a weak point on C5 seats - worth checking carefully that nothing else is broken. I had to make up and fit a new pivot pin to mine, as the original snapped off at the weld.
gilern

Post by gilern »

Thank you for the advice, much appreciated.