Pug 307SW Questions

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Pug 307SW Questions

Post by Ross_K »

I'm thinking of getting rid of the Espace and replacing it with something a bit more car-like, i.e. a 307SW. I can't find a PDF manual anywhere so I have a couple of questions for anyone familiar with the car...

You see some for sale as 5-seaters, and some for sale as 7-seaters. From what I can make out in the photos of the boot that I've seen, the 5-seaters have holes in the boot floor which I assume will allow it to be used as a 6/7-seater? Peugeot hardly went to the trouble of making two different boot floors, right?

And then the next question I have: do the middle and rear seats slide back and forward? In any of the photos I've seen, the rear seat doesn't have enough legroom for a midget going home from hospital after a double leg amputation.

Last question, which I probably know the answer to already: do they all have seatbelts in the back row? Or will I need to trawl around scrapyards If I find a 5-seater?

Cheers

edit. D'oh, put this in the wrong section. Can a mod move to the Pug section please?
ImageImage
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I have limited experience of 307s, however I believe the 5 seater is called an estate and the 7 seater an SW .. may help with your searching.

They are a small estate car and won't offer anythink like the space that a real MPV will. I think it states that the rear seat is for small children only. Might be best to do a bit of internet searching and find owner reviews of the cars. Parkers is a good place to start.

They are quite nice cars, spacious in the main, most have a full length glass roof etc. A review I found says the interior allows you to shuffle, fold and remove chairs but the rear headroom is limited and its best viewed as a stylish 5 seat estate.

Its a bit of a dreary old sector the MPV one, though if your looking for a small MPV id consider a Grande Scenic - can now be picked up for little money too. Or perhaps if only 6 seats are required then a Fiat Multipla? Or if you don't mind driving around in something which advertises the fact the drivers car knowledge is non-existant then there is always the Zafira! I did once drive a Honda Stream Sport auto, that was surprisingly very good!
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Ross_K
2004 Toyota Prius

Post by Ross_K »

Yeah, I know what you're saying about the 307 - space in the back couldn't be expected to be great but all our kids are under 5 so we could use one for a few years.

Grande Scenic? It'll be a long time before I buy another Renault.
Zafira? They go for very strong money over here - I don't get it. The legroom in the rear is nothing to write home about either.
Multipla? I've driven one, and want to like it, but I can't. Facelift model would be fine but too expensive for me

The problem I have with pretty much all the Jap stuff is that the two rear-most seats are joined together, so it's impossible to drop two small kids into child seats without major acrobatics.

Something I did spot today was a '03 Fiat Ulysse 2.2JTD - leather, satnav and all the toys except electric doors. They seem to go for a lot less than a C8 or 807. I was going to make a separate thread about it seeing as the "JTD" is a HDI. From what I can make out, it's a 125bhp 2.2HDI - anybody got any observations on that engine? I've got a sore head after reading cachiero's epic 2.2HDI thread :lol: :lol:
ImageImage
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

Mothers got a 2l hdi one, 53plate, is a lovely car and very nicely spec'd, good mpg too, regularly high 40's around the lanes in somerset, and she doesnt hang about!
I think the belts are in he seats, you can move the middle forward and bwck, or pop the middle in he boot if you need the leg room for a longun! :wink:
glass roofs great too,
Have the usual issues you get with frenchies as they get older, but nothing out the ordinary, see a lot with 170k+ on them on ebay,
when mother test drove hers she commented on how it felt better than her mk4 golf did,
is generally a nice car though, spacious 5 seater though, mother picked hers up with 37k on it for £4k, on the basis its got 150k in it!!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I have had a short drive of a 307SW and it was a nice car, it felt spacious and larger than it was due to the slightly MPV like driving style. I would have had it a while longer had it not of been a HDI fueled by petrol.

Yes, well the Scenic would not be my choice of reliable motors, but they are nice cars when they are stood still :lol:

I like the original Multipla, the facelift version ruined its looks!

The Ulysse, C8 and 807 seem like very nice cars. That JTD will be the PSA HDI and so the 136bhp 2.2 (not sure why it would be a 125?). It was, apparently, the first engine to go into a car with a fap filter. While this does not always cause problems it does seem more prone on the 2.2 than any other. Im often tempted by early 2.2 C5 autos as they come brimming with spec and for no money (it would be ideal for my commute so I don't have to use my C5) but the 2.2 seems a bit of a gamble to me. However, that said in other respects its a good unit and seems just about safe of other failures.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Ross_K
2004 Toyota Prius

Post by Ross_K »

I had another look - it's a 128bhp engine. Strange at a time when the same engine was putting out 135bhp in a C5. I know it's only a difference of 7bhp, but there must have been a reason for it.

According to wikipedia (I know, I know):
2.0/2.2 (PSA)

The 2.0 JTD (1997 cc), used on Fiat Scudo, is not actually a Fiat engine, but rather a rebadged PSA DW10 engine.

The related 2.2 M-JET (2179 cc) used on Lancia Phedra and Fiat Ulysse is rebadged version of PSA DW12 engine, it produces 130 PS (96 kW). In January 2008 was introduced a new version with 170 PS (125 kW).
ImageImage
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Possibly the bhp figures were a bit lost in translation as it were ... I have seen the same engine listed as a slightly different power again in another car. It also does not help that some reports list power in BHP and others PS.

That Wiki (not the best source) article states the later 2.2 version as 170ps (or 168BHP) when Citroen were advertising it as 173bhp in the C5s.

Id take it with a pinch of salt, I bet its exactly the same 2.2HDi 136bhp as seen in the C5.

Its the same with the 2.0 16v HDi, Citroen say its 138bhp, Peugeot I think say it has 136bhp, Ford im sure state its got 140bhp and Volvo simialr. They are similar so its not too much of a confusion, but its the same engine in all.

Also, 2.0HDi 110 307s appear to be the only 2.0 110 8v HDi with a FAP filter, C5s with the same engine don't have.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10