xantia droning from rear wheels?.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jimmydod
My Cars:

xantia droning from rear wheels?.

Post by jimmydod »

Hi all,
Car just passed mot very pleased; have had a droning noise from what I thought was rear N/side bearings. Replaced hub still the same. Checked O/side no discernable rumble turning by hand. Changed front wheels to rear no difference checked all four wheels for out of true flat spots, bulges no evident problems. Droning is speed dependant present with drive train dissengaged engine idleing going down hill, starts at about 25mph lessens at 75mph. Still stranger turn a right hand sweep of road drone lessens, turn l/hand slight increase; with or without drive train engaged. Most definately coming from rear folded down rear seats and sat in back with head in boot you would swear it is coming from N/side. even though changed hub assy.
A real puzzler.
ps. no vibration as you would suspect from out of ballance wheels.

regards

Jim
jim the geriatric
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Check the exhaust alignment, too near the body anywhere and it will give those symptoms.
jimmydod
My Cars:

Drone from rear wheels

Post by jimmydod »

Many thanks Gibbo2286,

Took exhaust (tailpipe and remounted as it had been fitted a little close to body) definately alighned correctly took car round block still got the drone.
Anyone else any suggetion. If necessary will have to fit new hub on r/side and maybe fit new disks and pads. Then surely no reason for drone will remain.

Kind Regards

Jim
jim the geriatric
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The symptoms point to an o/s wheel bearing, don't be fooled by apparantly hearing it from the n/s - I have :oops: Spinning the wheels with no weight on them won't usually reproduce the symptoms.

Peter
torq
My Cars:

Post by torq »

A friends focus had exactly the same droning sound you describe, a bit like a spitfire chasing a messerschmit. It was the rear bearings, changed them and the noise was gone.

Torq
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Having replaced the nearside rear hub, and proved that wasn't the problem, you could try refitting the original hub to the offside and see if the noise disappears. Assumes you didn't damage the original when taking it off, and that you haven't already thrown it away!
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

You wouldn't have a wife in the back seat would you? :D
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Martin

jimmydod
My Cars:

Wheel bearing drone

Post by jimmydod »

Many thanks all

Xantidote I welcome your suggestion I never damaged the old hub I removed, only trouble is the old nut was in a bit of a state wer I prized out were it had been staked; can you get new nuts on their own without the hub?

Regards to you all and many thanks

Jim
jim the geriatric
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

I'd be very surprised if you couldn't buy individual nut for rear hub, even though quite a large size. No chance finding one on a scrappy? (although scrap Xantia's probably getting fewer)

Someone on the Forum is bound to have a spare, but postage etc probably as much as new from Citroen?
Martin

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Part number 3739.12 for all the Xantias rear hub nuts also fits early Berlingos.
jimmydod
My Cars:

Droning from rear wheels

Post by jimmydod »

Many thanks folks,

Will try and get new nut from Citroen Part No. 3739.12 much appreciated Gibbo 2286.

Regards Jim
jim the geriatric
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 1982 GSA 1299
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

QUOTE.
Most definately coming from rear folded down rear seats and sat in back with head in boot you would swear it is coming from N/side. even though changed hub assy.

You should know its very dangerous to sit in the back head in the boot whilst driving
:shock:

Drive shafts maybe and more likely, mine is doing the same sound is more noticeable when braking.Worth a check.
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

That was my thought too...inner drive shaft wear....but if its alot louder at the rear then that steers you away from that.

I know it may not be a drone noise but check the rear brake back plate is not corroded to excess, broken off at the bottom and is rubbing against the disc...i had that on mine a while back :wink:

Other than the bearings or the above....
Worn bushes (subframe mounts / hub carrier bushes) transferring vibrations to the base of the vehicle? that would explain the increase or decrease in noise when you turn due to the weight transfer. You getting any bangs over speed bumps on the back?
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

wotwot wrote: You should know its very dangerous to sit in the back head in the boot whilst driving
:shock:
Indeed. Quite difficult to see where you're going for one thing...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...