Dead Xantia?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Dead Xantia?

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

I think time may have been called on my green Xantia :cry:

Today when i was leaving the motorway and made my way to the exit ramp the whole dashboard lit up and the steering got very heavy and then the car cut out,I then proceeded to try and start her and she eventually turned over ,about 3 miles down the road and again the same thing happened so i pulled in and started again.

When i did get the car going it wouldn't go above 40mph and then it wouldn't go over 30mph luckily enough i made it back to my girlfriends house.

About an hour ago i stupidly decided that i would be able to make it home,which is 8 miles from her house,I hadn't got a mile down the road and it started all again,same process happened at least 15 times before she had no more ...so now the car is parked up in the middle of nowhere :cry:

Im going to have to get it trailered away tommorow but i haven't got nor am i prepared to throw anymore money at it :evil:

Im open to any suggestions as to what this may be :-k
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
2008 C4 grand Picasso exclusive 105k #-o
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Its a 1.9TD, it can't be anything too serious :lol:

Not something to do with the fuel filter housing suddenly sucking air?
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

Citroenmad wrote:Its a 1.9TD, it can't be anything too serious :lol:
That's what i thought :lol: :cry:

On one hand i'm thinking if it's gonna cost me a fortune, whether to go back to my silver car and put a few quid into the front bushes and to fix the leak and to try and salvage what's useable off the green car and then just scrap it :hb:

I wouldn't have thought the filter housing would be sucking in air,it all looks to be tip top :?
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

No, Don't scrap it, not after all your time and money has been spent getting it this far. You might be surprised at it being something simple.

Thats the first thing which sprung to my mind as I had very similar results with the 2.1TD XM. It would not keep running unless I kept the revs very high, I had to get it home so forced it there which was very difficult at rush hour in traffic ... 3000rpm is not easy to keep when in stop start traffic and only two feet but 4 pedals! It was getting worse and worse very quickly though did get me home, then failed to start after that.

Had it of been the C5 I might have parked it in a verge and left the keys in it, but being a XUD TD XM I knew it would be a simple fix :lol:

Get the fault found and go from there :)
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

I'm preparing for the worst :cry: After doing the whole process about 5 times,eventually just letting it tick over and then it would cut out ..so so frustrating :hb: It could be any number of things couldn't it,fuel pump,oil pump,seized engine,split in any number of pipes/hoses :evil:

Maybe it's time for a C5 :oops: :D I'm browsing English and Irish sites,so far there has not been one C5 i would touch with a bargepole in Ireland...Im completely undecided as to what to do..i think this car is probably a lemon,it seems to be one thing after another,eventually something has to give... :twisted:
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Well fuel pump possibly ... but I doubt the rest ...

Has the engine changed in noise at all? I doubt its the oil pump, the engine would have suffered and as it is turning over its certainly not siezed. My bet is its something simple, I wouldn't worry until you know what the cause of the problem is.

As for C5s, I wouldn't swap mine for any other Citroen, its ideal for daily duties and suits what I need from a car perfectly. Like any car there are good and bad ones but overall im a big fan of C5s. They are not the most interesting of Citroens but they are great cars in my opinion, I have enjoyed every one of mine. Even with a XM and Activa I still enjoy getting back into the C5 after.

Stick with your green Xantia, might be time to get a second opinion on its running problem.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

the engine wont have seized or it would stay seized, if it sounds ok when it runs other than hunting and missing a bit then i would say air leak, the fuel pump will be fine too.

So long as the belts are in place and the thing turns over your onto a winner, it has to be something simple like Chris says, its a 1.9XUD :lol:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Things to check/change:

Fuel filter
Mesh on the fuel sender under the back seat
Replace the pipe from the primer bulb to the filter housing with clear silicone so you can check for bubbles, likewise with the pipe from the housing to the pump
Check leak off pipes for leaks
Check air filter and replace if dirty
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

Lying in bed going over everything,i think i have found a cause possibly :oops:

The fuel tank gauge doesn't work correctly but i put enough diesel in that should have lasted about another 40miles,I just hope that's it anyway :x

And if it is hopefully i haven't killed the fuel pump,it seems so obvious now :oops:

I'll stick some diesel in it tommorow and see if that was all :hb: :hb:

I'd imagine i would have to prime the pump manually before i attempt to start it ?
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

In order to help eliminate some things, pump the primer bulb until it becomes hard, that will give you some idea that there is some fuel in the tank, it will also remove any air bubbles from the fuel system, if the engine starts and runs for a while then starts playing up you more than likely have an air leak in either the primer bulb, leak off pipes (common and can happen at any time) or the filter housing (normally occurs after changing the fuel filter) or a blocked fuel filter, when was it last changed? If the engine ruins OK until you use large throttle openings for long periods i.e. accelerating using maximum drive through the gears then its likely to be a build up of crud on the fuel pick up mesh in the tank.

Of course if you are running the car on fumes you may have simply got your calculations wrong :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

Yep manual priming would save excessive cranking, does sound like many a similar experience I have had on the xantias/xm.
Get the fuel through and she will be fine!

Mine used to exhibit this behaviour to let me know i needed to change the fuel filter ( on veggy oil), usually conking out on roundabouts.
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

Thanks for the help fellas :wink:
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

Well i don't know if it's more embarassing or stupid on my behalf :roll:

I simply ran out of diesel :? I put a 4litres in primed the pump and she fired up :lol:

Another lesson learned the hard way :twisted:

Dave
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Well, I did say it would be something simple, didn't expect it to be that simple though :lol:
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

Citroenmad wrote:Well, I did say it would be something simple, didn't expect it to be that simple though :lol:
Simples a nice way of puting it Chris :dunce: :lol:
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k