1990 Citroën BX.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

filip

1990 Citroën BX.

Post by filip »

Hello, I have just joined and am looking for some advice, I have the offer of a 110,000 mile Citroen BX, 1990 model non turbo diesel.
I know nothing about them. I'm told it is rust free although I've not seen it yet myself. Apparantly it needs nothing doing other than a new engine mount.
Is this a car suitable for daily use now, 21 years later? What goes wrong with them, are they reliable? and what would this car be normally worth?
thatfatbloke
My Cars:

Post by thatfatbloke »

There will no doubt be a BXpert along soon to answer your question with more authority than me. I have owned a few BX's in my time,but never a non turbo diesel. Price really would depend on condition,service history and length of MOT to me. Don't forget to factor in the cost of a cambelt change if it hasn't been done within the time frame. And crucially.make sure she goes up and down nice and smoothly.
I must admit I never had any trouble with any of my BX's considering they were at the 'bottom end' of the price range (i.e cheap!!). As far as I remember I have never paid any more than £350 for one,but mine have always been for use in the short term so wasn't too fussed about service history etc. I always found them to be very comfortable,reliable and reasonably cheap to run,especially the diesels. Tesco's car park isn't full of them either,so you get a bit of 'individuality' thrown in too. Good luck.
1996 Synergie 1.9td - the money pit!!. Long gone.
1997 Lexus LS400 - a proper car.
thatfatbloke
My Cars:

Post by thatfatbloke »

Oh,and welcome to the forum by the way. There are plenty of guys here to give you some more definitive answers.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi and welcome

check the rear arms by raiseing the car to its full hight, then stand back away from the rear end and look to see if the rear wheels are like this / \,

also with the car on normal driveing hight bounce on the front and rear ends to check if there is movement in the suspension, the more floaty up and down the better the ride will be,

BX's are getting on in years now so it is far to expect some rust, obviously there is rust and there is rust, some would be relatively easy to fix and others might be a bit more time and money,

check also the clutch if the pedel is very heavy it will require a new clutch soon,

on the hole they are far easyer to work on than XANTIA's which most members on hear run,

there is also the sister site to this one the BXClub.co.uk which is full of BXers,

were abouts are you located,

regards malcolm
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Rust depends on your location..

If your in a wet climate then rust could be an issue..

If dry, then no she should be ok..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
thatfatbloke
My Cars:

Post by thatfatbloke »

Can never work out how to post a link on here,but there is a BX TXD on ebay at the moment with gallactic mileage and not much more than a scrapper really that is at £165 at the moment. It finishes tonight,might give you a rough idea of how the prices are at the moment.
citroenesque
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by citroenesque »

You should visit www.bxclub.co.uk/forum - there's every bit of advice there you could hope for. My advice would be, get a BX now as they are becoming rarer by the day...

I've got two 1.9 diesels and although not particularly quick they are very economical - and will run all day long. I have had 13 or 14 BX's over the years.... they are good cars considering the design is basically 30 years old next year. BXs suffer from no more problems than any other car from that time, but there's something about them which makes driving one a pretty unique experience.
1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Diesel hatch, white, 92k
*SOLD* 1998 Citroen Xantia Ser.1 Turbo Diesel manual, Desire Limited Edition hatch, Mauritius Blue, 118k
2003 Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE Tourer auto, BRG, 135k
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

thatfatbloke wrote:Can never work out how to post a link on here,but there is a BX TXD on ebay at the moment with gallactic mileage

This one? BTW, parking a BX in weeds/long grass isn't a good idea unless you want to disintegrate your sills. Ask me how I know... D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320755304045

ImageImage
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

As previously mentioned the BX is a good car and much easier to work on than modern ones, the non turbo even more so. On the down side the performance is not that good. The TD on the other hand was a very fast car in its day, we have owned both and I know which I prefer, it was an original hot hatch and the performance doesn't dissapoint today.

Peter
filip

Post by filip »

Hi all, the car is in somerset, the only reason for filip as a user name is Phil has gone!
It's apparantly rust free. Are parts all obtainable?
Thanks for the replies.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

most parts can be found if you look hard enough,

but the rubber pipes are becoming a bit harder to find,

there are some on the BX forum who are trying to fabricate an alternative to keep the BX going for many years to come,

as said above it is the BX's 30th birthday next year and the CCC (citroen car club ) are trying to get as many BX's to turn up at the ICCCR
( world meeting ) in yorkshire in August 2012

regards malcolm
filip

Post by filip »

Hi all, it looks like I am getting this BX. I have just found out it is automatic. I am guessing a diesel automatic is quite rare? Is this combination problematic? It has done 110,000 miles.
Are there any things I should do straight away to keep it reliable?
I want to change the cambelt as the seller doesn't know if it has been done. Is this straight forward? I am a fully qualified mechanic although now coming off the spanners Friday is my last day in the workshop!) after 12 years so I know one end of the spanner from the other. ;) Although I won't have access to power tools or a ramp and have never worked on a Citroen BX.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Quite rare and also quite slow, I trust its a turbo?

Peter
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

Peter,

I have never heard you say a car is slow before! Did you drive your BXs differently from your Xms :lol: :lol: :lol:
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Should be on a par with my old zx 1.9d auto. ie .........slow but a nice leisurely drive with economy to boot.

Lack of power steering is a cause for concern........I assume it don't have any.
My zx had heavier steering than my 61 landrover :shock:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2