Electrical problem on Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chesterkeff

Electrical problem on Xantia

Post by chesterkeff »

Year 2000 Xantia. I've noticed that the digital clock is blank some mornings, on start up it appears but obviously with the wrong date and time. I set this on the way to work but sometimes it reverts back to some odd time and date.
Also the lights, both front and back seem to be blowing after years of no problems! Strangest thing of all...when I brake one side of the front headlamps illuminates!!
Any help or guidance much appreciated.

Thank you
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: Electrical problem on Xantia

Post by xantia_v6 »

chesterkeff wrote: the digital clock is blank some mornings, on start up it appears but obviously with the wrong date and time. I set this on the way to work but sometimes it reverts back to some odd time and date.
The clock has 2 supply feds, one switched, one unswitched, maybe the unswitched supply feed is broken (fuse?). It could be a faulty clock, or it could be a wiring fault. I would suggest checking the fuses, then changing the clock unit and see if that fixes it.
chesterkeff wrote:Also the lights, both front and back seem to be blowing after years of no problems!
Probably old bulbs (has the same bulb blown several times?)
chesterkeff wrote: Strangest thing of all...when I brake one side of the front headlamps illuminates!!
Probably a fault ground connection on one of the rear lamp clusters. remove the brake light bulbs, and see if the healights (probably only the sidelights) still illuminate, if not, then bad ground connections at the back of the car are your problem.

If the sidelights still come on with the rear bulbs removed, then it is likely to be shorted wiring in a trailor socket (if fitted) or a short in a wiring harness.
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

does your clcok reset back to 1st jan at midnight when it does this?

if so join the club, mine does this, i have given up with it, sometimes its fine for months other times it'll reset a few times a day. i can't find any reason to it doing it, its not linked to ignition on or not as it will do it driving down the motorway or with the car locked up and in the dead of night with no wind.

typing this though i'm wondering if it could be ignition barrell related if for some stupid reason a permanet 12v goes through it (not looked at any wiring diagrams) reason i say this is it is more likely to do it when starting the car. but is certainly not limited to that time
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
chesterkeff

Post by chesterkeff »

Many thanks for your comments. I'll have a check around this weekend.

Thanks again
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Series 2 cars dont have the 12v through the ignition like S1 cars which burn out...

They fitted the Relay Mod them selfs in S2 production.. so they may not be the problem..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto