Xantia 1.9TD VSX Noisey Motor Why?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CITROEN-SUCKER

Xantia 1.9TD VSX Noisey Motor Why?

Post by CITROEN-SUCKER »

Hi i was wondering if anyone had any Idea's as to why my 1.9TD vsx is so much noisier than my 1.9td SX i hope this is just me being paranoid but could it be the main bearings? to fill you all in on the details here is the spec of both cars.
1993 1.9TD SX 166000 Miles recent Timing Belt oil and filter change
1993 1.9TD VSX 144000 Miles Recent Timing Belt Oil & filters changed
is this normal to have such a vast difference in noise also the VSX seems a little less responsive the sx is a real pocket rocket
thanks
J.J.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

My thoughts.
- Timing slightly out.
- Loose crank pully bolt.
- Noisy hydraulic pump
- Missing wheel-arch panels.
- Loose / leaking inlet/exhaust manifold / gasket ( would also explain performance due to lack of turbo boost ).
- Take a general look around the air intake systems - ensure the connections are tight.
- Failing all these, as you suggest, it could just be wearing quicker than the SX. Are they both the original engines ?
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

I'd definitly put my money on the camshaft timing being one notch out. I had the timing belt on my XM TD12 changed recently and when I got it back it was making a hell of a racket, a sort of "load valvey sound", straight back to the workshop were they discovered that the camshaft gear wheel was one notch out.
//NiSk
Kered

Post by Kered »

Can't comment on the noise but the VSX is heavier which may be the reason it's slower. Paradoxically it's heavier as it has not only more bells and whistles but more sound insulation!
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Assuming any simple mechanical fault is ruled out (per mbunting)....
I've seen loads of this engine type and now they are all getting older and up on mileage the difference between them can be startling. As far as I'm concerned it is all down to maintenance.
A while ago we had two BX TZDs, one engine was a smooth as new and the other noisy and rough.
The smooth one had covered almost 230,000 with a full dealer history to about 120,000...oil changes at 6,000. Then the next owner had serviced it himself and changed the oil at 3,000 intervals. I continued this schedule until we sold it. It really was one of the best TD engines I've heard... of any mileage.
The rough one had covered over 240,000 and it's service records showed skipped services and stretched mileage intervals up to 16,000 between oil changes.
Also I look after a Rover with the Citroen TD engine, this is noisy and very harsh at about 120,000. This owner has abused it with missed oil changes, leaving the old oil in for up to almost 20,000. Rarely was the oil changed before 10,000. Also the car was usually run at or below the dipstick minimum mark. Trust me the engine is in truly terrible condition, it breathes heavily into the air filter and leaks oil from every seal.
Our current Xantia and ZX are both 1.9TDs at about 115,000. They have full histories from new at 6,000 service intervals, perhaps with the odd couple of services stretched out to 7,000. Now I'm looking after them they get OE filters and fresh Millers XFE every 4/6,000 miles.
I'm convinced this is crucial to engine life and virtually preserves them in time with little change in condition as the miles pile on.
Shortly I'm about to post in the Peugeot forum about a 206 petrol where these stupid modern 20,000 service intervals almost ruined the car.
David
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Mine recently suffered a head gasket failure, I de-coked the head and the pistons, and since then, it's been more responsive, and given 2 - 3 mpg more.
CITROEN-SUCKER

Post by CITROEN-SUCKER »

well, i checked the timing this weekend and all seems ok even ran the engine with the acc drive belt off just incase it was the HP pump but no luck now seems to sound more like a tractor.
help
J.J.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Are you sure it's a mechanical sound - ie. your not suffering a leaking manifold gasket or air-piping somewhere ? It could also explain a lack in performance ( which I would have thought wouldn't have been that much different to the SX )
Maybe the injectors need cleaning ?
CITROEN-SUCKER

Post by CITROEN-SUCKER »

HI I'M SURE IT IS A MERCHANICAL FAULT A LOCAL GARAGE THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE THE WATER PUMP IS THERE ANY QUICK WAY FOR ME TO CHECK THIS?
THANKS
J.J.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

You could get yourself a mechanics stethoscope from machinemart, then you can prod about with it untill you pin point the racket, don't let the neighbours see you doing it though, they might try and stick a jacket on you.
To get to the water pump for a manual inspection means removing the timing belt cover, so not a quick way.
Dave