uneven feel to brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

avin44
My Cars:

uneven feel to brakes

Post by avin44 »

I recently fitted new pads & discs to the front of my Xsara 1.9TD but after about a month I noticed as I was slowing down at around 15 -20 MPH, the brakes feel like an old fashioned car with drum brakes that have gone oval shaped, I can't feel any movement through the pedal and I don't have ABS, I also changed the rear shoes and pistons as one side was leaking but the uneven front brakes were playing up before I changed the rears.
Has anyone else experienced anything like this as I never have before and I'm not sure what to do to deal with it, the brakes actually work fine and it's more of an irritation not knowing what is causing it.
up, up and away
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

first thought would be air in the system, maybe it needs bleeding a bit more,

regards malcolm
Estately
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 00 Xantia 2.0 HDI 90 bhp Estate 237k Gone to New Home
07 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Exclusive Estate 211k. Gearbox selector failed.
10 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Auto Exclusive Estate. Px'd
13 C5 2.0 HDI 160 Manual Exclusive Tourer.

Post by Estately »

In answer to your request for similar experience of uneven feel to your brakes, there could be a couple of causes that have happened to my Xantia.

Posibility of debris between the disc and the hub boss causing the disc to run out of true - giving that oval feel.

Warped disc - possibly caused by a stop from high speed and keeping your foot on the brakes when at a halt.

You could try raising each wheel off the ground and turning it by hand to see if there is undue resistance in one particular position as it is rotated, then investigate further.

If you have a friendly garage ask if they will put each axle on the MOT brake testing rollers, apply the brakes lightly and check the gauges to determine which of the disc brakes are grabbing.

I have "cured" a slightly warped disc by finding a suitable stretch of road and braking hard from high speed down to about 10 mph, accelerating away without coming to a halt and doing it again - downhill is best.

Hope that helps.

Regards
If it can happen it will.