Help with cushioning.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Foggyoutcome

Help with cushioning.

Post by Foggyoutcome »

As some will know from my intro i have a problem with the suspension.
After a couple of weeks of driving i've decided the bone shaking is doing my spine no good so decided to take a look today and as far as i can tell it only the rear near side that has no movement when bounced upon. Its as rigid as a rigid thing so was hoping for any ideas of what it could be. :D
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

If the rear ride height is correct (about 1 finger-width gap above the rear tyre), then your problem is certainly your spheres.

If they were indeed replaced recently, then get them replaced under warranty, otherwise just get a new pair from GSF.
Foggyoutcome

Post by Foggyoutcome »

i'll test that out thanks
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if its one side only has no movement on the bounce test it is definently a sphere, the only other thing that can cause this is very bad rear arm bearings on one side,

as the ride hight ( two finger test ) will only affect both side together on each axle,

regards malcolm
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Definitely just one 'corner' sphere, but that probably means that all 3 rear spheres need changing. This will transform the ride.

By way of explanation, the spheres are combined gas spring and damper.

About £23 each from GSF and you'll need a couple of Litres of LHM - a 5L can usually works out cheaper than 2 x 1L bottles.

I did a write-up after I did mine the first time (with the benefit of the advice of forum members) you can find it here. Soaking the joints overnight with proper penetrating fluid (not WD40 or similar) makes the job soooo much easier.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
Foggyoutcome

Post by Foggyoutcome »

When i start the engine and it sorts it self out mostly by the front dropping, then i can do the 2 finger test on the back and they well fit perfect. If i go for a drive then test it again i can barely put the 2 fingers in under.
Foggyoutcome

Post by Foggyoutcome »

I bounced on the corner that was stiff last night and today it seems to of freed up allot. The timing was also out to and i rectified and noticed after the suspension was working ok, i wonder if that is at all possible.
If any one with the knowledge could answer me on that i would appreciate it other wise it was down to me bouncing on it.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the only think i can imagine to cause intermitent stiffness (oooh eeer) to just one side is rear arm bearings,

timming wont affect/cause this,

the only other fault can cause intermitent stiffness is the hight correcter linkages/turrets being seized, but this will affect both sides the same on one/either axle, and cannot cause just the one corner to be hard/firm,

what year and modle/engine/badge is this car,

regards malcolm
Foggyoutcome

Post by Foggyoutcome »

Its a 1995 cirteon xantia sx.
The back takes about 20 to 30 seconds to rise up after engine is turned off, it does not happen all the time.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom

Post by Old-Guy »

I think you have to get your head around how the suspension works.

The spheres are gas springs/dampers. The hydraulic system in effect provides a solid, but infinitely variable, link between each wheel and its sphere.

The height adjusters, front and rear, in effect vary the length of those (hydraulic) links. If the adjusters responded instantly, the car would bounce up and down like a demented yo-yo, so the self-levelling is designed to respond relatively slowly.

When the engine starts, it may take 10-15 seconds to bring the hydraulic system up to pressure (depends how much loading/un-loading has happened since the engine stopped) and then the self-levelling starts to work. The self-levelling should work even if either/both spheres on an axle are 'flat' (no gas and thus solid spring) with the tyre(s) providing the only springing. Driving around like this will damage the car.

It's perfectly normal for the suspension to sometimes go up or down when the engine is started - if the hydraulic system is in good condition, the rear height is capable of self-levelling several times after the engine has been switched off.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
Foggyoutcome

Post by Foggyoutcome »

Right thanks for the explenation if any thing should happen i'll let you know.
Foggyoutcome

Post by Foggyoutcome »

I had a nice week or so with the back working as it should and now its back to be stiff, the nearside back end that is. Are these bearing hard to change or am i better getting a garage to do it.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it could be the nice warm weather has caused the gass in the sphere to expand,

you didnt fit new spheres yet then,

this would be the easyest thing to try,

although the arm bearings are not to hard a job, depending on your spannering skills, and if you have the use of a mig welder,

regards malcolm
Foggyoutcome

Post by Foggyoutcome »

Money is tight at the moment. Don't want to put new sphears on if they don't need doing. Is there any experinced citroen mechanics in my area that i can throw a few bob at when i have the money. I live in highbridge, near burnham on sea.