Xantia Radiator Cap Over Pressure Limit Too High?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wilsonkrg
My Cars:

Xantia Radiator Cap Over Pressure Limit Too High?

Post by wilsonkrg »

My Xantia 2.0l 16V has been ginving me quite some grief with coolant leaks over the last 12 months. I just seem to fix one and it springs a leak somewhere else and its starting to get expensive. The first was the top radiator hose where is attaches to the thermostat housing - luckily a clean up and some silicon gunk on the O ring sorted that. Then the was the leak from the Water Pump that I found when replacing the cambelt - so new waterpump (hope the Italian one seal well). Then the interior ventilation system started smelling of coolant and got so bad that it was fogging the windscreen - so dashboard out to fit new heater core - boy that was fun[:(]. Now I have an intermittant leak from at the head to plastic thermostat housing join. I'm just waiting for the radiator to give up. System has been well bled between work.
On relection, I though the radiator cap might not be releasing pressure, but Haynes says they are rated at 1.4 bar or over 20psi. This might be OK when everything is new but I think it is a bit high once the car is getting over five years old.
What experience have other board members had [?]
Any other comments or ideas [?]
Does anyone know if an where a lower pressure cap can be purchased - about 7psi maybe?
Looking forward to the discussion,
Ken W (Aust) [8D]
Jon

Post by Jon »

Ken, when the rad caps get old/tired they actually fail to hold pressure, rather than preventing it being released in my experience. For the price of a new rad cap, you could try one of course, but the problems you describe are fairly typical of a Xantia of advancing years.
That plastic thermostat housing is a notorious problem, and my own ZX is on it's third! The last time I got so fed up with its so called sealing that I coated the plastic surface with bathroom silicone adhesive, then bolted it back up! Been good for the last year!!
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

- Apart from the general abysmal quality of Citroën rubber hoses - two of the smaller ones on my diesel have nearly cost me a new engine (on two different occasions). Upon examination it was quite clear that the quality of the rubber was
rubbish.
//NiSk