c5 lower front arm bush bracket problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pete@co.uk
My Cars:

c5 lower front arm bush bracket problem

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi guys

I have just replaced the lower suspension arm on my c5 i got all the main bolts out no problem but i had a big problem getting to the 10mm nut that holds a bracket to the rear bush its in an inaccessible place right in front of the anti-roll bar and behind the rear bush.. so the only way to get to it i had to pull the lower arm out bending the bracket with the arm still attached so i could get to the little nut to get it off.

So now i have the bracket bent and the arm off i tried to get the new arm back in but i couldn't because this bracket was bent and the bolt fixing on the bracket wouldn't fit back into the hole in the bush so there was nothing else for it but i had to cut the bolt from the bracket and fit the lower arm back in position without any problem so everything is back on now ok.

Now my question is will this bracket not being fixed to the bush housing cause an MOT failure as all i can see its for is holding a solid pipe at the other end that's all it does

Pete..........
Last edited by pete@co.uk on 13 Sep 2011, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.
Drives
51 Reg Citroen C5 SX 2.0 16v
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi guys

Is there anyone here who,s changed the lower front suspension arm on a C5 and has had the same problems as me if there is anyone i would like to know how you tackled it............. as with all the problems ive had its taken me all day to change the arm

Pete..............
Drives
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i would think it depends on if the pipe is in danger of shafeing on anything whilst not being suported, and also do you konw what the pipe is,

regards malcolm
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi Malcolm

The pipe is still supported ok its not hanging loose or anything i,m not sure where the pipe goes or what its for but if anyone does know its behind the wheel arch running up the bulkhead you can see it if you look behind the N/S lower arm large rear bush on any C5 the bracket itself is still not loose its just unbolted at the bush end not affecting anything

Pete............
Drives
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi all

So I,m now thinking i have nothing to worry about on this one as ive had no more reply,s so good news :D im just a little worried about the MOT that's all

Pete .............
Drives
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the non replies might be because no one has seen this problem as yet,

and as far as the MOT goes it realy depends on how compatant/mechanicly minded you MOT tester is,

regards malcolm
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I suspect it's the power steering pipe(s). Might get a fail from an eagel eyed tester - I would cable tie it down somewhere - but then I am a bodger!
Richard W
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi Guys

Thanks for your reply,s i,m going to take my car in very soon because the lower nearside ball joint rubber has split and needs changing i,m not going to attempt that myself as i know its on very tight and needs a power tool to get it off, so ill get him to have a look at the bracket he does pre MOT inspections and should be able to tell me if its ok or not if not the bracket can be replaced as its bolted to the pipe at the other end with an 10mm nut but very awkward to get to

Ill keep you all updated on this watch this space

Pete...........................
Drives
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi All

Well ive had the new ball joint and a new drop link fitted yesterday at the garage i use regularly and i pointed out this bracket to the mechanic and he said there was no problem because the pipe is securely fitted there anyway and will not move to cause a problem and will not effect an MOT i asked him as he also does pre MOT checks so he knows what he,s talking about.

so all i OK :D

Pete............
Drives