307 1.4 fuel consumption

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RustyUK
My Cars: Citroen C5 X7 2.0 Hdi Saloon
Toyota Aygo (C1/107!)
Dodge Caliber SXT 1.8 (for sale...)

307 1.4 fuel consumption

Post by RustyUK »

Greetings all,

A friend has recently purchased an 03 reg 307, the basic 1.4 8v petrol model with A/C. Seems like a mint car, and we've given it the essential service items - filters, fully synthetic oil, plugs, new tyres and alignment (toe was so far out both tyres were scrubbed bald inside!) It drives and handles wonderfully.

Except the mpg is coming in around 30 (without A/C running and a light foot). Rated mpg is around 42, while I wouldn't expect exactly that, 30 seems really rather low.

I've got a Lexia for my C5 so hooked Peugeot Planet up to it, no errors logged and after enabling the trip computer, that confirms my calculations. During normal driving the instantaneous readout is usually around 20-something.

Still, ~30mpg really doesn't seem right. I'm sure my old 2.0 8v xantia got better than that! Given the ECU isn't complaining about anything, are there any suggestions? Is there anything I can do with Peugeot Planet to work out if anything is slipping out of spec? I'm wondering if one or both of the lambda sensors may be defective, but don't know really how to diagnose further. I was hoping to change the fuel filter but this car doesn't seem to have one.

The only other curious oddity is a whistle, which sounds exactly like the soft whistle of a turbo! No exhaust seems to be escaping. Given the inlet manifold is under negative pressure would a tiny hole there even matter? Or the sound may be normal for these engines..?

At this rate it's going to cost him significantly more to run than the ancient Corsa-banger it replaced :(
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

What sort of journeys have been returning this consumption? If they are short and in traffic that's about what you would expect, a long steady trip with a hot engine are what will give you good economy. Hve you checked by a brim to brim tank fill?

Peter
RustyUK
Toyota Aygo (C1/107!)

Post by RustyUK »

Mixed, we did a few ~20 mile trips this weekend, mostly clear A roads. Not yet tried to get the factory rating on the motorway.

Of course everything might be just fine, but I've been in similar size modern (where my idea of modern is under ten years) petrols that get far better than this on the same roads.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Is it possible the tyre wear was caused by collapsed lower arm bushings? You would be wasting fuel thus forcing the car along the road while the lower arms are still flapping about.
RustyUK
Toyota Aygo (C1/107!)

Post by RustyUK »

It passed its MOT last week without advisories so I assume not, but I feel an urge to check myself now anyway!