Handbrake operating lever not applying any presure to piston

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jimmydod
My Cars:

Handbrake operating lever not applying any presure to piston

Post by jimmydod »

Bought a recon r/h caliper for my Xantia a little over a year ago now have no efective handbraking on R/H side. Pull the lever (on caliper) rightover with minimal effect Does anyone have an exploded view of front brake caliper for reference I may be able to repair it.
kind regards to all Jim
jim the geriatric
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

If you can move the handbrake lever and get no braking effort, the threads are stripped on the internal spindle. Unfortunately, this renders the caliper as scrap unless you can find a rebuild kit. These kits are usually dearer than the cost of a remanufactured caliper.

Numpties who try to push the piston back in, instead of winding it in clockwise, are the most common culprits.

H
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

these callipers are ment to self adjust with normal brake pedle use,

firstly if new pads are or have been fitted, with the cable unhooked and after WINDING the piston back and fitting the pads, start the engine and press hard (but dont stamp) on the pedle two or three times to re/set the hand brake mechanisum inside the calliper, then re attatch the cable,

also in use if the cable does not let the lever on the calliper go fully off the calliper will not adjust its self up,

regards malcolm
jimmydod
My Cars:

Post subject: Handbrake operating lever not applying any pre

Post by jimmydod »

Hi all thank you for your answers Malcolm your a star did what you advised now have a handbrake.

Regards Jim
jim the geriatric