Berlingo starter problem.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BryanB
My Cars:

Berlingo starter problem.

Post by BryanB »

Hi again,

Had a problem with the Berlingo starter motor last night, 50 miles from home the starter squealed but failed to turn the engine. I guess the solenoid didn't pull in. Anyway, on the second try the engine started normally so I drove home.
This morning, same thing, starter squeals but doesn't spin the engine. I'm of the generation that cures this by a quick thump with a hammer on the starter, or rocking the car in gear. I would appreciate any more modern cures you can offer. Thanks.
Willing to learn

2003 Berlingo multispace forte. 1.9d (The sluggish one)
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

The 'modern' cure is replacement :( , very little 'repair' these days for these kind of units same as alternators etc.

The solenoid / bendix gear is probably sticking. You could try taking it apart (with care, watch out for springs flying out / injury etc) or just replace it.

I used to just use a piece of wood and tap that with the hammer not the starter itself, given that the casing may fracture with a direct blow from an enthusiastic hammer :D
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
BryanB
My Cars:

Post by BryanB »

spider wrote:The 'modern' cure is replacement :( , very little 'repair' these days for these kind of units same as alternators etc.

The solenoid / bendix gear is probably sticking. You could try taking it apart (with care, watch out for springs flying out / injury etc) or just replace it.

I used to just use a piece of wood and tap that with the hammer not the starter itself, given that the casing may fracture with a direct blow from an enthusiastic hammer :D
Thanks for the reply, I've taken off the plastic engine cover. There's not much scope for tapping the starter. I can't even see it from above. crawling under is getting less appealing these days. Looks as though replacement is the way to go, but that's a bit of a pain as the starter is only about 3 yrs old. The original seized about 2008.
Incidently, I started it with no problem after rocking it in gear, but the wife can't manage that if she's out alone, ah well!
Willing to learn

spider

Post by spider »

You should be able to see it :) , its at the front although the airbox and curious expansion resonator (if fitted) may obstruct the view a bit.
Andy.

BryanB
My Cars:

Post by BryanB »

spider wrote:You should be able to see it :) , its at the front although the airbox and curious expansion resonator (if fitted) may obstruct the view a bit.
Thanks again, the curious resonator does obstruct the view. You are right though, I can see a little of the starter, it was raining first time so I didn't persevere.
Almost impossible to get at it from above without removing the resonator box. I don't even fancy getting it out from below, I've got ramps but not the inclination. Hand in pocket time I guess.
Willing to learn

spider

Post by spider »

From what I can remember there's a 10 or 13mm bolt holding the resonator to the block (have to undo that from underneath) then its just the jubilee type clips holding the airbox lid / pipework on.

It should then be reasonably straightforward to undo the three starter bolts and pop it out having undone the heavy cables first.

I doubt a garage will charge that much, I'd estimate the book time to remove / refit the starter on a DW8 cannot be more than .6 or .8
Andy.