CitroJim's XM V6 Project...

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

CitroJim's XM V6 Project...

Post by CitroJim »

As reported elseware, the XM is now safely sitting on my drive eagerly awaiting some TLC. It was fun getting her here, involving the hire of a self-drive car transporter and making a rendezvous at Wetherby services to load her up.

The transporter lorry (a 7.5T Isuzu) was an excellent piece of kit with a double articulating bed that laid out almost flat on the ground when extended fully. It made loading a breeze and unloading easy too. I don't know how it happened but whe we arrived home with the XM on the back, the little close where I live was almost deserted. Normally it is littered with cars in the evening but for once and most unusually on Wednesday it wasn't :D The XM guardian angels were out in force!

The gearbox has failed good and proper but at Wetherby it had just enough drive left in it to load it but sadly it chose the time after revering off the transporter at home to decide than that was it and it has now totally lost all drive. It sounds very rough too. Three of us had to push the XM the last few yards onto my driveway...

So what have I got? A 19999 3.0 V6 S2 in Mauritius Blue that will henceforth be known as 'LAB' due to the letters on her number plate. She has multipoint LPG fitted.

This evening I've had a good look at her and I'm pleased with what I find. She looks a bit forlorn, being a bit grimy and dog-eared after sitting for six months and some paintwork is a bit iffy and in need of work. Despite that, she's bodily very sound and has a complete set of very straight panels. Not a ding or a dent anywhere. All glass is good.

The strut tops look a bit rusty but they are reasonably sound and will respond to some attention. Similarly the exhaust.

Inside she's absolutely immaculate and as dry as a bone so no leaks.

All her toys work perfectly, including the two displays, all windows, sunroof, seats and armrest. Even all windows go up and down. The only two small problems is a light out on the wireless giving a dark display and a problem with the alarm. The central locking works fine from the plip but when an alarm set is attempted the indicators light up and stay lit up forever...

The wireless is no problem as a thread on Club-XM shows how to replace the display bulbs - Thanks Robert for pointing it to me :D

The engine is sound and starts instantly with no issues at all. The gearbox isn't though and I suspect the lock-up clutch in the torque converter has broken up and caused it's usual havoc. Only time will tell there.

The only other obvious fault is a leak of biblical proportions from the LHM pump. Hopefully it is just O rings but there is a possibility it's cracked. I have a spare...

So, what to do? First job is to have the engine and gearbox out and do a full gearbox rebuild and whilst it is out, replace the engine cambelt, water pump and thermostat. The task of removing the engine looks easier than the Xantia by virtue of the whole front end being removable but the job will be made a bit more tricky by generally poor access and the LPG system being in the way. The exhaust to cat joint looks like an absolute devil to get to...

Then, before the engine goes back in the rest of the car will be given a good restoration. I plan to drop both subframes, clean them up and rustproof them, take the sills back to bare metal and repaint them as close to their original appearance as possible and do the other areas of paint requiring attention so I'll be learning some new skills on this car hopefully. Touch wood I'll not need to learn how to weld :D

This is going to be no quick, rush job. there is no time limit, no deadline and I plan to do the job properly, however long it takes and end up with a very nice XM at the end of it. She's a good candidate for a full restoration even if at first glance there's a tad of scruffiness apparent... :D

No doubt this is the first of many entries in this blog...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

wow a fresh blog and a nice new project, your going to enjoy this one Jim, im really enjoying working my way through my xm at the moment too, its nice to take your time and do a good job, doing another room at home but the rear subframe is off and has been rustcured also my sills have been taken back to bare metal too, in primer at the moment, just ready to break the paint out but i will do that in one hit.

Good luck with it!

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
DHallworth
Donor 2023

Post by DHallworth »

Hi Jim,

I'm glad your happy with the car in general.

It's amazing how straight all of the panels are on the car considering the mileage it's done!

I'd siphon the Petrol into your Xantia so it's not gone stale by the time your finished as there's 3/4 a tank on it which is around £80's worth!

I look forward to reading your blog and watching your progress.

When I looked at the strut tops they looks rusty on top but only one of them was showing any signs of delaminating at the bottom.

All the best with your project...

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
bxzx16v

Post by bxzx16v »

Look forward to updates & pictures , it sure sounds like there's great potential there Jim :D

Mark
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks all :D

David, there is a small matter we've not discussed yet :wink: I'll be in touch...

Going out to wash it in a bit and make it look presentable on the driveway so casual passers by don't realise there's a project going on and the Pikies don't think it's a potential weigh-in :evil:

Funny story I forgot to relate earlier. When we arrived in the close with the transporter one of my neighbours came out to see what was going on...

"Oh dear Jim, what's happened to your car? Has it broken down?"

Poor Verity, in the fading light she mistook the XM (being blue) for one of my V6 Xantias and thought it had come a cropper :lol: :lol:

I suppose to the untrained eye there is a strong resemblance between a Xantia and an XM...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

If your neighbour happened to be female maybe, to women a blue Lada Riva and a blue AC Cobra are the same car :lol:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Deanxm wrote:If your neighbour happened to be female maybe, to women a blue Lada Riva and a blue AC Cobra are the same car :lol:
Yea, that'll be right Dean :lol:

One of my female friends complained to me when I told her of the XM: "Oh not another blue car Jim, why can't you get one in a different colour for a change?"

I say no more...
Jim

Toby_HDi

Post by Toby_HDi »

CitroJim wrote:
Deanxm wrote:If your neighbour happened to be female maybe, to women a blue Lada Riva and a blue AC Cobra are the same car :lol:
Yea, that'll be right Dean :lol:

One of my female friends complained to me when I told her of the XM: "Oh not another blue car Jim, why can't you get one in a different colour for a change?"

I say no more...
Its true though! You do like Mauritius Blue don't you Jim!?

Glad you've finally got it back, looking forward to the tales.

As mentioned, if you want a hand getting the engine and gearbox out let me know.
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Nice going Jim!

CX for the next project? :twisted:
Citroening

Post by Citroening »

Certainly looking forward to the updates on this one Jim - it will be a worthwhile project, that's for sure. 8-)
myglaren wrote:CX for the next project? :twisted:
:lol: Jim knows where to come if he'd like one, and he's already on the CX Committee too... :o :wink:
(O/T) The other day we got two CXs out of a barn that had been there for 26 years! :o :o Restoration has commenced on one, and expect a video similar to one like this soon...
Franklin
Xaccers

Post by Xaccers »

D
Car dealer for women:

1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: CX for the next project? :twisted:
Come on, I've barely started on this one and you're already talking about my next project :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If there is another project, I always say that's the last one after doing one, then it is at least two years away...

However, I think a CX will be a step too far for me...
Xac wrote:Car dealer for women
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, speaking of blue cars, here's a few snaps of LAB after a quick clean..

Found the CD player today - under the passenger seat..

Owen (Trooper30) popped opver to see me and he found even more toys in it..

Whenever I give a newly acquired car a good clean I always find money. It can run to pounds and pounds sometimes but LAB being Scottish I only found 5p :lol: :lol:
Jim

Xaccers

Post by Xaccers »

Looks gorgeous Jim :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)

Post by red_dwarfers »

In that first photo, it looks like your chevrons are upside down :lol:

Ooo, have you found the mini sunvisor above the rear view mirror?
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

red_dwarfers wrote: Ooo, have you found the mini sunvisor above the rear view mirror?
I have now Kev :D :D :D :D Thanks!!!!
Jim