Xantia Mk2 - alternator removal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

atr
My Cars: Xantia 2.0l 16v 2001 petrol
C5 mkII 2.0l petrol sx pack 2007
C5 x7 saloon petrol 2010

Xantia Mk2 - alternator removal

Post by atr »

Hi
In succession to my post regarding the removal of the aux belt - I could use some (much) help about the procedure to remove the alternator. this morning I found out that it is a "valeo" alternator. the engine is 2.0l, 16v petrol. since the hydraulic pump is located above the alternator, do I have to remove it? the two pressure pipes that are connected to the pump, can they be removed? it won't effect the hydraulics after reconnecting them? could you tell me what is the easiest way to remove (and replace) the alternator?
Thanks for your patience and help.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

The hydraulic connectors are removed easily. Put the car on low and when engine stopped, open the pressure valve on the regulator at sphere assembly.

Half a turn and 12 mm spanner. You can disconnect pump flare nuts now. Take off any other pipe fixings that will allow movement of the pipes................this will aid in aligning the fine threaded male nuts on re-assembly

When reconnected, put car on high then tighten 12 mm nut ( not brutally) and start up. Pressure will build again.

This may let you see fixings on alternator. Don't know the model so can't say if HP pump must come out or not.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

There's some good info in this thread: Alternator removal it relates to a 2.0 Turbo engine, but the 2.0i is similar with more room.
Richard W
atr
My Cars: Xantia 2.0l 16v 2001 petrol
C5 mkII 2.0l petrol sx pack 2007
C5 x7 saloon petrol 2010

Post by atr »

Thanks for the info.
Lexi, it's a 2.0l 16v rfv engine.
RW, thanks for the link, seems helpful.
Any additional help will be highly appreciated. one more thing, since it's easier to replace the timing belt now, that the aux belt is off, could you guide me to a source of information how to replace the timing belt for the RFV engine?
Thanks.
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

atr, I didn't remember that we have the same engine type :) similar issues :wink:

Here's pic of alternator. You can see where the 2 long bolts are:

Alternator type code is on the sticker but if it's unreadable then I 'll give the code from mine which might be same.
Valeo A13V1101 , It night be helpful when you have to check from cross reference tables.

As I told in earlier thread mine was changed. The hydraulic pump was not removed (for sure) neither the air conditioner compressor.
I think (almost for sure) the aux belt tensioner was removed.

PS: check pm.

Edit: Checked alternator pic from service pages. I think I know why the tension roller was removed. It is right in front of the lower long bolt.
I am afraid you have to move the upper roller as well which is in front of the upper long bolt :roll:

I can add that pic if you don't have access.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual