Fun at traffic lights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wrinklet1
My Cars:

Fun at traffic lights

Post by wrinklet1 »

[:)] Go on, Please do tell me, Who hasn't done the little trick with their cars suspension at traffic lights? You know, the couple of old biddies sat behind you in their car, and you have your foot on the brake, moved the suspension into high and then released the footbrake when one of them is looking away and only one sees your car shoot upwards,[}:)] Naughty fun but still a laugh, same has been done on kids too.....
Should this have been a confession?
Paul.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Naughty ??
- it's d... fun [:D][:D][:D]
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I often put the suspension onto the intermediate setting before driving into a carwash - it seems to make a better job of cleaning the sills, bumpers etc this way. Its very funny to watch the reactions of people in the queue behind, those not familiar with Citroen suspensions seem to assume its some sort of trick the carwash automatically does to each car before it cleans it! I’ve seen a few drivers look absolutely terrified while they wait for the carwash to lift their car up too [}:)]
Its also funny (and useful sometimes) to do it whilst waiting in a long line of traffic when you can’t see any further than the car in front – jack the suspension up, then pop your head out of the sunroof and have a look over the top of the other cars, then slowly sink back down again. [:D]
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

A few weeks ago a section of the road on my way home from work flooded in very heavy rain. A policeman was there advising some old dear in a Micra not to drive through as it was very deep and she might get water into the engine. I was behind her and he came to say the same to me, I pushed the up button on the C5 twice and he looked on in amazement, along with several onlookers as it lifted up and I drove through the water with no trouble at all.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Thats another one. I went with my family to a place called Glasson Dock in Lancashire. One small road runs alongside the estury. On this certain day the water was above road level, not an unusual situation. Anyway, I raised my then BX 17RD to high, and then followed the 4x4 into the water. The 4x4 slowed down and stopped when the water level got deeper, I was in the situation of :- either stop and waterlog the engine and car, or, Keep going using the water wake being made by the bumper to project the water from engulfing the car. NO OPTION. We went on,closing the sunroof as the water was washing over the car.
We couldn't see the road in anyway or form, we could only look forward and guess the right direction.
We passed a half sunken brand new MGF, with the 50year old man complete with scarf, flat cap tweed jacket and driving gloves and his 18 year old Babe sat on the back of the car, feet on seat backrest.
Anyway, I saw the waters edge and waiting to go in was a CX, We came out of the water getting a thumbs up from the CX driver. I slowed down, went back to normal height and carried on to the car park. The attendent pointed to a place to park, it was alongside7 other citroens, he also told me that it was the highest tide for 15 years.
Typical or what???
Paul
PS the 4x4 was towed out of the water by a guy using a Xantia estate.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

There was a story doing the rounds here years ago about an incident on Fraser Island, which is a 90 mile long sand mass with almost no made roads on it. Some smart alec in a 4WD had driven into the dunes & got bogged & (gulp)the tide was rising [:I] His mates with their little play toy 4WDs had all tried & failed to get him out and they were about to abadon ship when an old battered D arrived. The guy hooked a snap rope on to both vehicles & towed it out much to the shock horror of the 4WDers. Best bit was, the D driver was a mail contractor from out west & this was his work vehicle with about 380,000 miles on the speedo. The ability to raise the suspension meant that the D got down to the compacted sand before it sat on the sills which was what was beating the others.
There have been other stories about lowering & raising the suspension at drive thru fast food outlets when well endowed attendents have been hanging out the window with the order & the change & followed the car down/up/down (the surprise factor) but with my luck, I'd still only end up with the hamburger in my ear!![:D][:p][}:)]
Alan S [:D][:D]
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Then theres the one about the mini who parked too close to the back of the turbo diesel BX. Need less to say the driver of the BX hadnt even noticed that the mini up his back side had no driver and was attached [:)]
So far ive towed three cars out of ditches, knocked down a wall, and used the suspension to crush drinks cans (very drunk night in a field), i mean the only thing the by doesnt do is the ironing.
Almost got the oportunity to do the 'drive through a river at amazed on lookers' once, but some kind sole had parked a fire engine width wise accross the exit [:(] big meany.
The high hieght has helped get out of tricky siuations before, usually getting blocked in in car parks. Then there is my favourite game, trolley fishing. Drop the suspension, back the towbar up to a trolley, lift the suspension back up and drive away. I get bored easy!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Most funny experience I had - was not in one of my Citroens - but in one of my Austin Maxi's I had before I fell in love with Hydraulic Citroens :
Once a friday afternoon - rolling home through heavy City traffic - I tried the handbrake trick (works on rearwheels in a Maxi).
Waiting on a traffic light - I pulled the handbrake - and got bored by the cautios drivers way up front in the line.
Started speeding up a bit on the engine - and played lightly with the clutch pedal - result :
The rear end was then moving up/down in a VERY suspicious rate by almost full suspension travel - a lady driver next to me got the point - and bursted into tears of laughter - lost her clutch foot and stalled the engine. She tried to get hold of herself - but gave up - and leaned back in the seat and was screaming for laughter.
A couple of impatient drivers behind her started using their horns - and she tried hopelessly waving/pointing at me - to explain/excuse her situation.
Finally she got hold of herself & her car and drove away rather clumpsy - guess she had trouble controlling the acc/clutch pedal.
Could still get a glimpse of her trembling shoulders & head - way up in the line next to me.
She really made my day - the rest of the drivers were mainly shaking their head - but I had fun [:)]
shaunthesheep
My Cars:

Post by shaunthesheep »

vanny,
you sound like you need to get out more especailly if you enjoy playing with trollies [:p][:p][:p]
dom
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

at 1-2 in the mornin there aint all that much to do round here, cant even work on the car without annoying the neighbours [:D]
think i just need to spend less time with the Cit than getting out [:D]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Anders - used to do the hydrolastic handbrake trick on an 1100 - looks of consternation with this thing bobbing up and down at the lights.
I find citroens fun on speed humps. wife's zx is more or less immune to them so you accelerate and watch the car behind take off as it hits them. BX speciality is those new square ones put in the middle of lanes - theory is that you must put one wheel on them to avoid ripping the bottom of your car. Answer in BX - obvious - raise the car and enjoy the show!
jeremy
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

I was going home one night, the motorway was blocked, so I went the back roads.
A lowered "boy racer" 306 was behind me, not driving dangerously or anything, but you could tell if he got a safe chance, he'd be past me.
Coming in to a village, a "boy racer" in a fiesta with lowered suspension and exhaust bell-end thought it would be OK to pull out in front of me. Trouble is, he ( and the guy behind me ) kept slowing down to 5mph over the speed bumps ( they are nasty - blobs in the middle, and raised ( 1ft ) crossings ).
Needless to say, after the first one, I got bored, overtook, and never saw them again !
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

This topic reminds me of when I had my XJ6 series 3. After the novelty of going really fast had worn off I used to drive it at about the limit and every hero in Golf GTI would just have to overtake. having had a Scirrocco GTI I knew that they had poor brakes and really didn't steer ver well so what i would do was go into roundabouts behind them fast, knock it into second on the autobox, and when I was about 2/3rds of the way out (going staright ahead) plant my right foot on the floor and steer for it!
I'd come out of the roundabout miles ahead of them as they could never understand how such a large car could go round them in the other lane. Naturally after I'd returned to my cruising speed they would go past flat out!
Silly games!
Getting good at getting the ZX through roundabouts without adjusting speed!
Jeremy
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Would that be by adjusting the angle of the tail slide then ?
I've also looked through the sunroof on high suspension to see what's going on in a jam - good fun !
(sad)
Mat.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

XJ6 - just beginning to slide - extremely controllable car - which somehow produced the sensation that it didn't really want to start to turn from the front but was alright once started. Bit of acceleration would make all the difference to cornering and really the rear end (designed in 1960 for the E Type) was superb when in good condition and also vice free. (had Triumph Stag and remember doing 90 degree slide at 15 MPH in front of a policeman in a magistrates court entrance!)
Dont think I'm sliding the tail of the ZX yet - its only a plain D and I don't think its got the guts to do anything really interesting but for something that looks as unexciting as you can get it really does corner very well, no doubt helped by what seems to be the first passive steer rear wheel setup.
Part of the fun is that it looks so plain that no one expects it to ever be driven aggressively. Event the wife's getting into the spirit of it and races MX5's out of the car park near work and watches them ground.
Jeremy