E-Petition: Restore a rolling 30 year-old exemption

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

E-Petition: Restore a rolling 30 year-old exemption

Post by Trainman »

I paid £215 to tax my DS this year. I probably won’t even reach 1,000 miles during these 12 months. If my car was 8 months older, I’d pay nil!
The above is a statement from the Chairman of the CCC 'Northern Section'

Since 2002, the view of the Government has been that "Classic Car" production halted in 1972.

Now it's your chance to put your name with the movement to update this forgotten (by them) revenue raising scam.

If you agree with the E-petition, just add your name.

See http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/183 and vote now.

Please forward this email to anyone you know who owns, or is looking to own a classic car, or who sympathises with the principle.
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.

http://c6owners.org/index.php
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Good.

I've just signed it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

It was of course not this government that abandoned the scheme, that was down to dear Gordon and Tony.

I've added my sig.
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Post by Trainman »

Current score: 961 signatures
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.

http://c6owners.org/index.php
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I won't be signing it, after all its been going long enough now so people owning classic cars have had time to choose what car to buy, I did.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

DickieG wrote:I won't be signing it, after all its been going long enough now so people owning classic cars have had time to choose what car to buy, I did.
How much is it to tax your DS Richard?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Xac wrote:
DickieG wrote:I won't be signing it, after all its been going long enough now so people owning classic cars have had time to choose what car to buy, I did.
Nil because I chose to buy a car which is RFL free and paid a premium to buy it as a consequence, the choice is there for everyone so if someone has bought a car since the change I'm sorry but I don't sympathise, the choice was there for you so don't bleat after the event. If you owned the car prior to the change then I suppose its just like life, some you win etc

Its like when emissions were brought in to calculate RFL, some cars became cheaper due to engine size, others such as my Xantia HDi would be cheaper if it was registered a couple of years later.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

Some people haven't had the choice you did.

We've got some old classic Land Rover's that have been in the family for longer then I have... These aren't tax exempt under teh new rules. Due to the sentimental value on them it's not as simple as choosing which classic car to buy.

One of our Land Rovers missed the cut off by 3 weeks, another by 6 months. There's very little in it.

I'm going to be taxing a 1965 Raleigh moped this week. When I was in the Post Office though I was told that it will cost me £16. When queried I was told this is to cover the administration fee involved with taxing the car.

So there's no such thing as tax exempt any more.

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

And there will never be a tax-free Xantia or XM :cry:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

DickieG wrote:
Xac wrote:
Nil because I chose to buy a car which is RFL free and paid a premium to buy it as a consequence, the choice is there for everyone so if someone has bought a car since the change I'm sorry but I don't sympathise, the choice was there for you so don't bleat after the event. If you owned the car prior to the change then I suppose its just like life, some you win etc

Its like when emissions were brought in to calculate RFL, some cars became cheaper due to engine size, others such as my Xantia HDi would be cheaper if it was registered a couple of years later.
So a DS isn't a classic car then, it's just an old car in the case of yours, and a not old enough car in the case of Trainman's.

DIY sphere tool
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

There's always going to be winners and losers as there has to be a cut off point in any law, one day, two years matters not otherwise vehicles registered in January 73 would pay £5, February £10 and so on :lol:

Re the £16 was the moped previously registered/taxed or was that a documentation fee for registering it?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I don't see why anyone would be against encouraging people to look after cars rather than scrapping them and buying new, and expecting someone who drives 100 miles a year should pay the same as someone driving 20000 miles a year.
Maybe it's time to scrap road tax and put it on the pumps.

DIY sphere tool
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

DickieG wrote: Re the £16 was the moped previously registered/taxed or was that a documentation fee for registering it?
It was already registered, I've got the logbook in my name. It was only printed a few weeks ago when it transferred into my name.

It's currently SORN'd.

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Im going to stick my neck out and say im with Richard here but not for the same reason exactly.........
I believe all cars should pay the RFL, if you drive it on the road you should pay the tax that helps the upkeep of the road, end of story.

The real issue is what the RFL is actualy spent on and how its calculated, also the way in which we pay to use our cars is all wrong.

My idea to encourage people off the roads and let each person pay their share is to scrap the RFL and charge per mile via a 2 or 3ppl fuel tax increase, this way some old lady with a 4.6 Range rover doing 1200 miles a year isnt kicked in the teeth with a £500 RFL and someone in a C1 who pays jeff all tax but does 30k a year pays his fair amount too. Then the lorry driver claims the tax back anyway so everyone is happy all round, you pay fairly for the usage, comercials dont get hammered (although their RFL is heavily discounted anyway).
Also you dont have to worry about producing or enforcing the RFL disc, simple.

Oh and before you say it, anyone who wants to whine about the price of fuel needs to wake up, it will never get cheaper now as demand grows and supplies start to become harder and more expensive to extract.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i thought they were going to roll this over to every car once it became 25 years old,

then after the first offering they did not continue the sceem,

they obviously saw pound notes running through there grasp,

regards malcolm