Rad Fan Odd Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

carpy
My Cars:

Rad Fan Odd Problem

Post by carpy »

On my 2001 2.0 Hdi c5 the rad fan does not come on so I thought I'll have a go. Took the fan off and gave it a clean and a squirt of wd40 and attached to a spare battery and it ran like a good un. I cleaned all the relays. I then put it all back together and started the engine and let it run for ages. I switched the aircon on and the fan didn't move. I disconnected the lead into the fan and checked the loom and it was giving power so why wasn't the fan turning. I checked the voltage and it was giving just under 12 volts. Put the fan back to a spare battery and it worked fine. Connected it all back together and nothing.
I'm flummoxed, any thoughts please.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Poor earth?
carpy
My Cars:

Post by carpy »

Hmm but where? Why wouldn't the fan work on just under 12 volts. I even bridged the connectors just in case they were dodgy but still nothing.
carpy
My Cars:

Post by carpy »

More confusion now. With the engine running and the aircon on I get 12v from the car loom measured on a multimeter. I put a 12v test bulb on the loom and it doesn't light (it worked on a check test to the battery). I reconnected the voltmeter and got 12v but this time I connected the test lamp to the clips on the multimeter and the light didn't light and the voltage dropped to zero, I disconnected the test lamp and the voltage returned. What is going on?
Any help please.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

I'd suspect you've got a very poor connection somewhere. You've got continuity, as proven by the 12 volts on the meter, but as soon as you draw any current (ie. the fan or the bulb), the poor connection cannot pass the required current, so nothing works :(
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Haven’t been there yet, but it may be that the 12V is a permanent supply to the fan, while the switching is done on the earthy side with the relay and the resistors.
If possible, try to measure where the motor’s earth wire goes.
If it doesn’t go straight to earth, it then goes to the relay box for switching.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
birstall

Post by birstall »

Hi Clogzz

This may be a bit obvious, but can you confirm that you've checked the fuse in the engine compartment.

Pete
Current: C5 HDI Exclusive Saloon
Past : C5 HPI Exclusive Saloon
C5 HPI Exclusive Est
Xantia 1.9TD VSX
BX 1.7 TZD
beelim

Post by beelim »

I have the exact same problem, high speed fan works but low speed one doesen't. Can activate high speed fan with Lexia but not low speed.
Took off the relays and put 12v on them. They both close. no corrosion on connectors.
Any suggestions very welcome.
carpy
My Cars:

Post by carpy »

I fitted new resistors today (the brown one and the grey one) and didn't make any difference.
All fuses are fine.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Does the C5 have a Bitron unit?

I posted elsewhere on the Forum about the op-amp drivers inside a climate control module; it's possible similar effects could be felt with a Bitron fan controller if the relay switching terminals are making poor contact - the signal amplifier could cook or become dry jointed.
beelim

Post by beelim »

Fixed mine today. If you take the tie clip off and unwrap the insulation you can see the flow of power much easier.
Two blue wires come from the main loom and one of these goes straight to one side of the Fan.
The other one also goes to the Fan but via the High speed relay first. This relay is blue in colour.
My Hi speed fan was working okay so I knew that this circuit was good.
Half way along its route from the hi speed relay to the fan, the blue wire also branches off into the medium speed relay and this was also showing 12 volts when energised. the blue wire then goes to the 2 resistors and then into the low speed relay. My current flow went into the grey resistor but didn't come out the other side so I tested it for continuity and the coil inside was good, but the small diode type thing wad not. I shorted across where the diode was and the circuit is now complete to the low speed relay and on to the fan. The haynes diagram was a great help in understanding it.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The diode isn't cosmetic frippery; worth replacing it with a similar unit. :wink:
beelim

Post by beelim »

addo, yes of course , actually I have removed the resistor to replace it
so it's not working now but I know what the problem is which I am happy about.