Xantia II noisy radiator fans

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lancia58
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Xantia 2.0 16V Automatic make year 2000 LHD
Citroen C4 THP Automatic make year 2009 LHD
Citroen C4 VTS 2.0 16V make year 2006 LHD

Xantia II noisy radiator fans

Post by lancia58 »

The fans are OK, but the sound that they make. It is not rattle noise it is more like a loud turbine sound. Is this loud sound normal ?

Thanks
Zohar
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Yes, they're flippin' powerful, and quite often when you turn the engine off you'll hear them winding down.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Estately
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 00 Xantia 2.0 HDI 90 bhp Estate 237k Gone to New Home
07 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Exclusive Estate 211k. Gearbox selector failed.
10 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Auto Exclusive Estate. Px'd
13 C5 2.0 HDI 160 Manual Exclusive Tourer.

Post by Estately »

If a lot of cooling is being called for then my 2.0 HDI fans really growl, though having said that it would be during the heat of Spain that they will do it - otherwise the fan noise is not that noticeable.

If you leave the air con (climate control) setting that cold then when you get out of the car the sudden heat will be at best unpleasant.

Regards
If it can happen it will.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Zohar

This is what mine sound like (mkI though)

xantiafanstesting

regards Neil
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

And when they're running like that due to a genuinely hot engine, just feel the wind they make under the car. It's like a little wind tunnel full of very hot air!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

The season of the fans is back ! :twisted:

This looks like the low speed not working and one fan running at high speed.
With the air conditioning turned on, even with a cold engine, both fans must spin at low speed, which is very quiet.
If low speed doesn’t work, it will go to high speed when too hot, and even only one fan spinning fast is loud enough to scare the pedestrians.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
lancia58
(Donor 2022)

Post by lancia58 »

Hi

Neil thanks for the link to the video, yes this is the sound that is made by the fans. Does anyone know what the mechanism that controls the fans speed is? Is it just a heat sensor that is plugged onto the radiator? Anyone has the electrical diagram of the mechanism ?

Thanks
Zohar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

lancia58 wrote:Does anyone know what the mechanism that controls the fans speed is? Is it just a heat sensor that is plugged onto the radiator? Anyone has the electrical diagram of the mechanism ?
It depends on the car. Non-aircon cars have a two-way thermoswith in the rad that controls a relayset to switch the fans on slow (by wiring them in series) at the first temperature threshold and an to wire them in parallel for top speed when the second threshold is crossed.

Aircon cars have a BITRON sensor in the thermostat housing to detect water temperature and this feeds into an ECU that controls the fan speeds.

I can supply circuits of this for Xantias...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lancia58
(Donor 2022)

Post by lancia58 »

Hi Jim

My Xantia is MK-II with air condition. How this BITRON sensor looks like. It will be very helpful if you can supply the circuit diagram for Xantias.

Thanks
Zohar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Zohar,

The BITRON sensor is the brown sensor on the thermostat housing...

If you pull the connector off of it with the ignition on the fans should run at top speed. If you switch on the air conditioning the fans should run at half speed.

Here's some typical circuits. These are for the 1.9TD diesel but all are very similar.

Schematic Diagram

Harnesses

Locations

The Bitron sensor is item 8008 and the ECU 8010.
Jim

lancia58
(Donor 2022)

Post by lancia58 »

Hi Jim

Thanks a lot for the diagrams. Just to make sure that I understood correctly, when the AC is turned on both fans should run in low speed but as the engine gets warm the fans should run in high speed , right ? I didn’t understand from the locations diagram where is the ECU can you point where it is ? Can some of the AC functionalities be tested with a Lexia ?

Thanks
Zohar
Derekofpriory
My Cars:

Post by Derekofpriory »

Hi all, what engine are we talking about, Mk 2 Hdi's don't have a bitron sensor- all fan control is done by the three terminal temp sensor on stat housing via a multi way connector below the battery on the inner wing- this connector is a real pain, and has many connections.

Derek B.
our car spent Friday afternoon and Monday morning in the electrics area of the Factory!!
lancia58
(Donor 2022)

Post by lancia58 »

It is a 2.0 16v petrol

Zohar
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Gooood ! :mrgreen:

We first have to know if both fans run with the aircon.
If they do, you’ve nearly made it; if they don’t, there’s a relay fault or so.

The fans don’t have to run at high speed when the engine is at normal operating temperature.
They’re only an emergency cooling in case of overheat.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
VertVega
My Cars:

Re: Xantia II noisy radiator fans

Post by VertVega »

lancia58 wrote:... it is more like a loud turbine sound. ...
When the fans are running in fast speed, the sound is like that.
During summer while driving in city traffic (with the air condition on), you have to stop and go several times.
I can hear them easily while waiting in the traffic lights when they switch to High_Speed_Mode :wink:
lancia58 wrote:... Just to make sure that I understood correctly, when the AC is turned on both fans should run in low speed but as the engine gets warm the fans should run in high speed , right ? ...
That is exactly how it works.

===========
Slightly Off Topic:
One more thing about radiator fan motors which I happened to learn just by coincidence :roll:
During our holiday in Greece it was "extremely hot", 38-40 deg and we drove to ancient ruins uphill.
In the parking area, with the ignition key off, doors locked, I heard and saw both fans spinning in very slow speed.
System over heating protection I guess. When we came back all was fine and quiet
This was something new which I have never seen before :shock: :)
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual