Battery Light!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ref

Battery Light!

Post by Ref »

my xantia has been parked for about 7 days, it started normal but when i turned the blinker strange noise came from behind the wheel and the battery light came on same with the wipers, it happened for a couple of times then everything went back to normal again, should i start shopping for alternator?
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

By "wheel", I'm assuming you mean the steering wheel. Does the problem only happen (maybe randomly) when you use the indicator switch?

I once had a funny rapid ticking noise from behind the steering wheel. Traced this to the indicator switch, which I found was due to the switch's contacts becoming worn. Despite this fault, the indicators themselves flashed correctly. After an initial repair, the problem started again, and just by luck I found the rear wiper was trying jerkily to move on the screen. Never understood why this should happen, but new indicator switch sorted everything
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Ref

Post by Ref »

yeah a buzz like sound from the steering wheel and the battery dash light flashes then goes off, happened once and everything is normal again, i also get the clicking sound from time to time, guess it's bad switch then!!
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Well, it certainly seems to be 1 possibility, though I wouldn't like to feel it's the only diagnosis! Perhaps other Forum members will be along with different explanations! Good luck.

My Xantia's a S1, and the steering wheel needs to be removed to access the indicator switch, whereas on the S2 (unsure which yours is), I understand the wheel doesn't have to be removed.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Chances are the problem is either a worn ignition switch or the circular track that lives under the steering boss. Is your car a Mk1?

If the battery indication light is coming on, there is either a very high resistance in that area or a major short.

Its also worth checking the connectors around the sterring column, as they are known to come loose. Something to do with the under dash gremlins that live there. :shock:

Handyman
Ref

Post by Ref »

it's MK1, i will check the connectors for starters..
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would do a few miles in it before you start replacing things. I have found that XMs develop strange faults when they haven't been used for a while and then heal up. I think its due to damp.

Peter
Ref

Post by Ref »

as it didn't happen again so i'll leave it unless if starts to act crazy, thanks for the advice guys!