Memory Lane

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Dippy
My Cars:

Memory Lane

Post by Dippy »

Apologies if this is in the wrong place ? and will hardly be a new topic either .
I find this website fascinating though I'm sure other members are likely to be well aware of it .

Tons of info - loads of nice Piccies too, unlike some the more modern Techy blurb
( I wept when they stopped producing Rupert Books - the Algy Pug Kind :cry: ) sorry - I digress...

This part revives a whole load of personal memories from my callow youth days , and has left me with a lifelong admiration of the DS .

Rose tinted specs ? Probably

http://www.citroenet.org.uk/miscellaneo ... 773-1.html

I had the occasion to tamper with / drive several of these in those days .

Lasting impressions :-

The NSU we nicknamed " None Specific Urethritis " which was a polite term used by the local pox - clinic when encountering a dose of the Clap :wink:

The Overall Car was very good , way ahead of it's time - the engine a disaster, for all sorts of reasons , . ended up transplanting the Ford/Taunus V4 in it's place . just about bankrupted NSU.
...................................................................................
Beemer - Flash , Handled well (only in the dry) and felt much faster than it actually was ( which BMW were quick to realise and still use as their "hook" ) as " Jeremy " often states - " you were likely to meet your Nemisis travelling backwards "
Very Teutonic .
....................................................................................
Citroen - probably the most Enigmatic and Opinion - Splitting vehicle ever , I simply adored the DS - Super 5, the column change , brake button etc felt entirely natural , and utterly addictive within 5 mins driving , the overall ride and handling was absolutely captivating .

Trying hard not to copy well known cliche's , The DS was possibly the only vehicle that was and still is true to itself , I can almost hear Mr Sinatra's " my way "

As Youths , the poster of the Current Desire Du L'Auto took pride of place over the Photo of whichever current Bint was swinging on yer, arm , sweaty " stained " :oops: bedsheets being the end result of this adolescent fervour- nothing changed there then .....

Bearing in mind my " Smoker" at that period in time was a Kitchen Collander , erstewhile known as a Riley Elf who's rear subframe often chose to take a different cornering line than it's front one - the above Icons were simply manner from heaven , it surprised us that we were let anywhere near them at that age .

" Road Tests " invariably became - extended . much to the chagrin of the service manager :roll:

Customers who could afford these kind of wheels ( though some were company cars ) never appeared to notice the gain in mileage , luckily

Britain had been in the grip of the " Bloody Foreign Cars " attitude for Eons , but things were changing - fast.