1995 Citroen Xantia, rear suspension problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

igor253
My Cars:

1995 Citroen Xantia, rear suspension problem

Post by igor253 »

Hello everyone,

I am having a bit of trouble with my rear suspension. The problem is that yesterday I put my suspension to service high, and when I put the slider back to normal driving position the rear of the car didn't come down. Now, I had this exact problem before, but only with the front of the car. And when I got under the car, this Image
is what caused the problem, it just came of...

Now, I'm not sure if this might be causing the problem again, I checked the one in the front and it didn't fall of. I watched a video on youtube uploaded by this forum, and the guy said that there is another one of this things in the back, if I understood correctly :D so is this true? Should I check that first, and where do I look?

Thanks ! ;)
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Indeed there is another one of these on the back, as in the video, make sure you've got the car up on axle stands before crawling under.

The rear height corrector setup is near enough in the centre line of the car, the easiest way to identify it is to follow the long rod that runs up the centre of the car from the slider.

Have a look herefor more detailed info

You'll need to scroll down a bit for specific rear height corrector related bits.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
igor253
My Cars:

Post by igor253 »

red_dwarfers wrote:Indeed there is another one of these on the back, as in the video, make sure you've got the car up on axle stands before crawling under.

The rear height corrector setup is near enough in the centre line of the car, the easiest way to identify it is to follow the long rod that runs up the centre of the car from the slider.

Have a look herefor more detailed info
Ok, thank you man ;) I will have a look at that :D
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

when that dogy bone pops off its usualy caused by the hight corector linkage's/turrets being siezed or partly siezed up,

regards malcolm
igor253
My Cars:

Post by igor253 »

fixed it :D
thanks again! :***
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Proper!

What turned out to be the problem?
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

igor253 wrote:fixed it :D
thanks again! :***
IF you have Just pressed the clip back on IT WILL come off again...

Two hints of sized linkages here... you MUST free them off!!

The clip comming off is one hint of the sized linkages, the other is SLOW or NO response from the lever in the car...

Get the car up on safty ramps, and under the car follow the steal ROD under the car - as it come to the back it attaches to a leve linkage.. This WILL be sized... and slow to respond... the other linkage that the white clip is attached to is also stiffening or sized up...

Get them Both lubricated and cleaned for optinum operation... and good responses to the lever in the car.

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

It was serious rusting of one of the balls/nipples that caused my rear dogbone to pop off. Probably the corrosion had worn the corresponding cup as well.

Replacement of the part that included a new ball, plus new dogbone, plus copious grease, fixed the problem. No seizure of the height corrector in my case.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )