Power to hydraulic pump - C5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

carpy
My Cars:

Power to hydraulic pump - C5

Post by carpy »

"On the pump connector there is a heavy contact which has 12V from the maxi fuse and a lighter contact which is the logic control input to the pump, if you connect 12V to the heavy terminal and 5V to the logic input the motor should run".

Hi, having removed most of the front of the car I can now gain access the 2 connectors mentioned above. There are 2 wires in the heavy terminal, green/yellow and red/white, does it matter which one I put a 12v feed to?
Also, any ideas how to get 5v feed as ordinary batteries are 1.5v or multiples thereof.
Many thanks.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Might it be easier to measure if the car is already supplying the appropriate voltages to the connectors?

The heavy connector probably has a live feed and a ground wire, so must be connected with correct polarity.

I would imagine that for your purposes, 4.5V (1.5V x 3) would be sufficient and safe for the 5V input.
carpy
My Cars:

Post by carpy »

Thanks for that. Seeing as the wires that earth to the bodywork are green/white, bit of a giveaway, my bad. I have checked the red/white wire and it is giving a pemanent live feed to the pump, is this correct.
Thanks
carpy
My Cars:

Post by carpy »

Right. I'm confused. I put 4 1/2 volts positive into the single connector and earthed to the bodywork (the 12v live connector was plugged in) and nothing happened, I also unlocked and locked the car to see if that would make a difference - nothing. I then took the single connector coming off the loom and attached it to my multimeter which I earthed to the cars bodywork and unlocked and locked the car to see if there was any voltage and there wasn't.
Any thoughts please
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Just curious as to where you got the info that the small connector has a 5v supply ?
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Can't help with leccy stuff but hats off to you on tackling this job anyway..........lots of work.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
carpy
My Cars:

Post by carpy »

The 5v info was supplied by a fellow forum member 'Cachaciero'.
Presumably the single wire connector provides some sort of power just trying to find out what makes it work.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Twas indeed me that said it was 5 Volts.
Now I have to confess that I am not 100% sure it's 5Volts having never measured it. My reasoning was / is that the logic in the ECU runs on a standard logic supply of 5 Volts the height sensors are apparently fed with 5 Volts (garnered from other posts) and finally 5 Volts was a good point to start when applying external voltages if it is a 5V I/P and you applied 12Volts it may well go pop!.

Now back to your problem 5 Volts doesn't make it go try earthing it, in electronic switch terms it could just as well be a switch to ground to switch the pump on, i.e you have +12 to what is a switching module it may be that a ground on the trigger is required to complete the circuit.

If it was me given that i /we have no hard data on the circuitry I would be inclined to ground it with some kind of low value resistor in the circuit to ensure that there is some current limiting say a 6W lamp in series if it glows brightly then what you are doing may not be correct, the same appilies if you decide to try a higher +ve voltage.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC