A few questions.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

OwenP
My Cars:

A few questions.

Post by OwenP »

On the way back from an interview in South Wales yesterday the 406 presented me with a few questions.

1) What temperature should I expect from the oil gauge on a 406 2.0 HDi 90? I normally find it hovers just above the 90 mark (with water at about 85) yesterday however it was well on its way to the second of the unlabelled marks whilst the water was hovering around the 90 mark. This was up some fairly steep, long hills so I realise it'll be higher than idle, but at what point should I be concerned?

2) Do the radios tend to play up when hot? I was finding that the radio would oscilate in reception, both of Radio 2 and of my Tunecast MP3 transmitter, this would give a very variable volume, and sometimes I would get a burst of static and then not have any signal on any channel for a while.

3) This is more based on a POSSIBLY faulty understanding of engine mechanics; It is my understanding that a modern diesel engine uses fuel to lubricate the cylinders and that when coasting (e.g. downhill) no fuel is drawn into the cylinders. What sort of distance of coasting would cause damage to the engine?

The car in question is a 51 plate 406 Estate 2.0 HDi 90.

Cheers
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Owen

First point. The perssurised system can safely handle temperatures of over 100C and it was very warm yesterday so unless the temperature regularly stays above normal I wouldn't worry about it.

The radio shouldn't play up when hot unless it has a fault which is possible. If it does there is not much you can do about it as the cost of repair, if possible, is likely to exceed the cost of another radio. You can get a secondhand replacement on ebay for about £50.00.

Re the lubrication query. While it is true that no fuel is being injected under overun conditions, the lubrication of the fuel is in addition of the normal sump oil lubrication. A petrol engine has no extra oil during combustion so the fuel injected into a diesel is a bonus and is one of the reasons that diesels last longer.

Peter
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

Yeah I figured the very hot air temp was pushing it up as well as the workload I was demanding of the engine. It normally stays at the 90 ish mark so won't worry about that.

In that case then I suspect it is the radio starting to fail. Quite a few of the buttons don't work and I can't get the CD player to read anything. I think the previous owner was a bit hard on many of the interior controls, oh well if this job comes up trumps a new radio may be first on the cards.

That makes a bit more sense, and explains why it isn't a problem. Makes you wonder why there isn't an additive in the petrol to provide some sort of lubrication for a petrol engine, but I suppose petrol being a shorter chain molecule may not lend itself too well to having too many additives blended with it. If such a compound exists and isn't a very nasty chemical nightmare.

Cheers Peter.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I don't know how good these radio's are but mine isn't very good, I did find a fault with the aerial lead though which improved the reception no end but the CD player doesn't work. I had a look inside it an although I am a retired TV engineer of 50 years or more - I gave up.

The bore wear on petrol engines has long been accepted as normal as when I started driving not many cars made 100k before they were scrapped and had quite likely had at least one rebore in that time. its only really since the power to weight ratio has improved to the extent that engines are very lightly loaded, plus improvments in engineering that has lead to very long lives.

I have one TD XM that has done nearly 300k and that's the second one I have had to reach that sort of mileage. I dont see many of the modern cars reaching that - except for the 8 valve Hdi. Petrol engine durability has improved to but not to the same extent as the diesels. Of course you don't get the penny squirt of Redex now. :D

Peter

Peter