Improving the dipped lights - 01 Xsara

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Father Ted

Improving the dipped lights - 01 Xsara

Post by Father Ted »

Hi,

The dipped lights on my 2001 model Xsara are very poor and the do not seem to give much luminousity which I find to be a danger when meeting oncoming traffic on country roads which I normally use.

Is anyone else having/had a similar problem with the quality of the dipped lights on thier Citroen or specifically Xsara and if so can anything be done to improve the situation that doesn't impact legality/roadworthiness and blows fuses!

Thanks.
Father Ted

Post by Father Ted »

BTW - alignment was checked not too long ago and the switch beside the steering wheel indicates 0.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

The lights on the C5 are awful too. There's plenty of light there but you can't see anything by it. Plastic just isn't a suitable material for headlight lenses.

You could try buying Osram Silverstar/ Nightbreakers or similar bulbs. They are standard wattage but a bit brighter. Standard bulbs from a reputable manufacturer might help too, I believe a lot of nameless bulbs aren't really up to the job.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I don't know if this does apply to Xsara's or C5's but it certainly does to S1 Xantia's so its worth checking as it only takes a couple of minutes to do. Turn the headlights on and connect a volt meter across the battery terminals, note the voltage then connect the volt meter to the wire at the back of the headlight bulb and earth and compare voltages. If there is a great variation between the voltages (1 volt being great) it shows that somewhere along the line the lighting circuit is losing current, this can be easily remedied by fitting a relay to the lighting circuit. I did this to the Activa that Jim now owns (pardon the pun) but the before and after difference was literally like day and night :shock:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

A relay in the system can make a big differnce, also worth checking earth points around the lamps, spent the day on the bx cleaning all theearths up, made a big difference!
The simplest wwy is to bung in some higher wattage bulbs to get a big impovement, als worth checking the lense on the lamp as often thry can take an opaque turn, a light wet and dry with 1500g or finer and polish up can also help,

If you want superb lights then get a decent HID kit, not the cheapy chineese ones as the balast packs dont last, but a good set from a uk supplier around the 6000K output to not go too blue and chances are youd very rarely use high beams! Annoys the pants off every other road useras they are Bright but aproper hid kitbis an amazing difference!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
Father Ted

Post by Father Ted »

Cheers for the replies guys. I've been told from another person that as the headlamp covers are plastic they will get frosted over time with roadblast and general weathering.

I was advised to get them polished by:
1500 wet & dry
2000 wet & dry
2500 wet & dry
Fine polishing pad
T-cut
Polish