C5 Rear passenger door wont unlock

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pete@co.uk
My Cars:

C5 Rear passenger door wont unlock

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi all

i now have a new problem the n/s rear door is permanently locked the lock itself seems jammed Ive tried gaining access to it by partly removing the door card but cant get it off fully because the door is shut any ideas how to get it open Ive tried banging it from the inside and outside but no use Ive even had a screwdriver inside the door on the lock and given it a few knocks with a hammer and it still wont open

i have heard that sometimes you have to break the door lock off and replace it i know i did this once on my old xantia a few years back
but i don't want to resort to that if i can help it

any ideas

pete...............
Drives
51 Reg Citroen C5 SX 2.0 16v
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Not finding it, but we have a topic somewhere about child lock shafts getting stuck half-way and blocking the lock from both in and out.
The C5 child locks are fairly loose and I’ve had the kerbside one shut in a passenger by itself when it was good the week before.
I have since squirted goo into both sides and stuck tape over so that they don’t exist anymore. :evil:
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi Cloggs and thanks for the reply

One Question Though How Do you Get the Door Back Open After the child locks come on the door on my car wont open from the outside or inside you can pull both handles at the same time and it still wont open if i could get it open i would spray the lock in oil,, the lock motor is trying to open the door and making a weird noise but the lock is jammed

Pete.......................
Drives
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I've done this a couple of times on C5's now and as far as I know the only way to sort it without causing damage is to remove the door card (not easy without being to open the door) and reach into the door insides to move a lever on the side of the lock, you'll lose skin off of your knuckles/arm in the process and need to adopt uncomfortable positions, deep joy :(
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi Dickie and thanks for the reply

Interesting Were on the lock is this lever i managed to get to the lock by partially removing the door card but i couldn't get it fully off because the door is locked, i pulled on the lever where the interior handle attaches to the lock inside the door is this the lever you mean or is there another let me know I'm interested and awaiting for your reply

Cheers

Pete.......................
Drives
rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Post by rmunns »

If its any help, I have this prob on my Xantia and I did manage to get door card off. With having small hands I was able to get a spanner on the bolt holding the external door handle on. But not easy - take precautions not to drop bits or tools down into door.

Once external handle is off the you can get at the operating lever.

With the door card off it is still not possible to open the door without taking off the outside door handle.

Good luck!

I've done it once, but it jammed up again and I now have a new lock to fit. Not too keen to go through it all again, though. Very awkward angles and scraped skin.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

From memory as its a couple of years since I last did it, you need to somehow get your hand inside the door onto the lock mechanism at the rear of the door as in the part that locks the door to the post if that makes sense. Its a rectangular block with a few levers sticking out which have roads attached to for instance, the inside door lock and button, but you need to find the child lock lever to get the door open again which isn't easy.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Thanks Guys

For your Reply,s very helpfull ill have a go at it later in the week and report back here and let you know how i get on...... if you think of anything else let me know

Cheers

Pete...............
Drives
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi all

Ive purchased another lock now comes the job of getting the door to open Ive found the child lock moved it and it still wont budge so there was nothing else for it out came the hammer and screwdrIver :twisted: anyway cutting a long story short Ive broken a lot of plastic away and parts of the lock are exposed ive removed the interior handle and played with the central locking and there are a few bits off the lock now but it still wont open even by playing with the exterior handle lever on the lock itself looking at the new lock and the old one someone has already had a go at this tomorrow i will have another look at it i think i need to concentrate on the top of the lock mechanism were the outside door handle lever is.

I don't like doing this but now there is no other way or is there something else on the lock to get it opened as the door lock is surely and properly jammed

any replys appreciated

Pete.............................
Drives
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi All

Well after spending nearly 5 hours ive managed to get the door open and replace the lock :D in the end i had to remove the door handle get behind the lock with a screw driver and break the black plastic away (What Was Left of it) :twisted: this reveled the striker mechanism.... Then release the lock with the screwdriver and the door popped open :) It was then a case of putting everything back together which i found was very fiddly Job....... so Job Done.

If i ever had to do this job again and it is as bad as this was i would get the door handle off first then get stright into the striker this would save a lot of time but i hope that day never comes

Thanks To all you Guys Who Helped Me Along the Way :D

Pete..........................
Drives
Jeff
My Cars:

Post by Jeff »

Use a long 10mm masonry drill bit and drill - quickest way to open lock once the door card is off. always have a spare lock to go on and use the spare to see where to drill etc.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I have seen a C5 with the exterior door skin cut open leaving a big flap in the metal to gain access to the lock for this very reason! Scary what some people will go to :lol:

Anyway, many people have managed to get the door to open by banging on the exterior of the door around the area where the lock is while operating the central locking. This obviously depends on the fault with the lock but its worth a try if the door is stuck shut.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi Citroenmad

I tried banging the door there but it still wouldent open before i did anything else it was stuck solid!!

I now have a slightly different problem with the front door it will lock by the central locking but will not open i have to use the key to open it i have had a chat with someone about this and they said to take the door card off then spray the lock with WD40 from the inside of the door i still have to try this to see if it works........ What Do you Guys Think ????

Pete................
Drives
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi Guys

Im sorry its been awhile but I,ve sorted the front door too now i had to replace the complete front door lock all is ok now with both doors it was still a fiddly job though but at least its done :D

Pete...............
Drives
Keith77

Re: C5 Rear passenger door wont unlock

Post by Keith77 »

Hello all, newbie here....
Thought i'd bump this thread as it seems most relevant. My rear nearside xantia(2001 forte estate) door has been jammed for a while now. I had a good go at unlocking it myself with the door card off, managed to get my hand in and checked the movement of the latch which connects to the inner door handle which seemd fine(but no real idea what I was looking at as I was doing it 'blind'). Tried applying some force as well, which was no good. Decided to take to garage, who also couldn't open, but said they could prob break it open but I would first need to get a replacement standby door lock. Was hoping to find one at a breakers yard as it's not cheap for new parts - no such luck yet - but there are one or two things floating around on ebay etc..

So, my question is this: Does the lock have to be from a mark II xantia or are they the same. Also, are the saloon locks the same as the estate models?

Many thanks in advance for your time and effort. Any pointers or replies are greatly appreciated.

Keith.