Xantia 2.1TD Clutch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gwoolie
My Cars:

Xantia 2.1TD Clutch

Post by gwoolie »

The clutch is fairly high on the pedal and I understand there is no adjustment on this model? The clutch, slave and piping all come as one? Any ideas of the cost of changing the clutch?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

If it's not slipping, and not too heavy, stick your head in the sand and ignore it[8D]
It's probably about 8 hours labour to change it - cost that out at your local's rate[:0]
RichardW
gwoolie
My Cars:

Post by gwoolie »

It is slipping so ive had to cost it!
£115 ish for parts and been quoted 200 notes for fitting + the taxmans bit!
I am off to France in 3 weeks and dont want it to bust over there!!
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Yeah three hundred odd quid sounds like a lot of money for that job, untill you've done one, then it doesn't.
Does it feel as though there is any play in the mechanism, if not the clutch could be held slightly disengaged making it slip, is there no way to vent it, like loosening a pipe union and let some fluid out if its slightly pressurised.
Sounds like something that happens with my mountain bike strangely enough, its got sealed hydraulic disc brakes and every so often I find I can't adjust them off enough from the knob on the bars without loosening the bleed nipple and letting a few drops of fluid out, I think the fluid (dot4) must be soaking up some moisture or something, where else can the extra volume come from.
Is something similar possible with the sealed clutch mechanism.
Dave
Jonesy
My Cars:

Post by Jonesy »

My 2.1TD also has a high clutch but its only done 64,000 miles and is fine. I think they quote about 7-8 hours as previously mentioned to change it.
gwoolie
My Cars:

Post by gwoolie »

Ya im slighty miffed as the car has only 52000 on the clock! Its not been used for towing. Ive just had a towbar fitted. So I know its not worn the clutch by dragging 7 tonne trailers![:)]
I think its just a case of the previous owner riding the clutch? Ive only had it a few months and done 2000 miles and I know I dont ride the clutch and my wife doesnt drive it[:D]
Oh well any donations pleas put in the pot below while I sell some blood and a kidney [:o)]
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I don't think too much notice need be taken of the clutch pedal looking high. My 2.1's pedal is around 30mm higher than the brake, and has been from new.
Jonesy
My Cars:

Post by Jonesy »

John,
I think we are talking more about where the clutch bites as opposed to how high the pedal is, unless I'm getting the wrong end of the stick. Mine seems to bite very near the top of the travel but operates smoothly with no slip.
Yeh, mine too has a very high pedal (physically) which I believe they all have.