2.1TD Timing Belt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Buchan Loon

2.1TD Timing Belt

Post by Buchan Loon »

I've just bought a Xantia with 102K on the clock. The previous owner has had it since 40K and unfortunately can't remember if the timing belt has ever been done. Says he just used to get it serviced and paid the bill - wish I had the resources to do that!
Where's the best place to get a belt, I'm assuming a kit would be better with the tensioner etc?
Is it really necessary to change the water pump, just how much of a risk is it?
Is it a pig of a job? I've done one on a MK1 Mondeo years ago (Bought a BOL on Ebay, just waiting for it to arrive)
Finally, she seems a bit jerky on throttling up/down, is there an engine or gearbox mount that goes on these?
1999 Xantia 2.1 TD SX
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

GSF are good for kits although the tensioner is a very stout piece of kit and may be good enough for another round... However, for peace of mind it's not a bad idea to swap it...

There is a guide here on swapping the cambelt. It's not quite as easy as the 1.9TD but not that difficult either. The Xantia BoL gives some hints but the XM BoL gives some even better ones as the 2.1TD is more of an XM engine than it is a Xantia one... In fact generally, having both BoLs is a good idea wen owning a 2.1.

Do swap the water pump!!! They have a nasty habit of failing just after the belt change otherwise... It's as if they know...

Note that the water pump is unique to the 2.1TD and needs a gasket that may not be included with a new pump. If you do not have it, a dealer can supply one readily and cheaply.

It's worth checking all engine mounts for the jerkiness, especially the top mount torque reaction arm and the lower engine mount down at the back of the engine. They can get saturated with oil and perish the donut rubber. Often though it's the little donut in the top mount torque reaction arm that fails.

If the belt is neglected and it does break, it's often not fatal as it is on a 1.9TD although some rockers can break. Best to change the belt in good time of course...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

2.1 TD belts are nice and straight forward to change. There is good access on Xms, never done one on a Xantia though.

I got my timing belt kits from Malcolm Lockwood. He usually has most stuff in stock, and soon will if not. A quick phone call and its ordered and on my doorstep the next morning. Much handier than going to my local GSF branch who will have to order it, and then go to GSF and collect it. Arghh.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

robert_e_smart wrote:There is good access on Xms, never done one on a Xantia though.
Access is not quite so good as on an XM Robert but it's still adequate once the engine mount is out of the way..

Good tip on Malcolm Lockwood :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

Good tip on Malcolm Lockwood
Its very handy for me. My local branch of GSF isn't very local at all really, being a 60 mile round trip to be disappointed... They also answer the phone "German, Swedish" So they're not too interested in the French bit...

This is from my experience. I hope others have a better one from different branches. Also their new web catalogue (lack of access to it) does my head in!
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Well, I can give a big thumbs up to GSF at Liverpool for my Xantia bits :clap: - well done Vince :D
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )