Xantia towbar - wiring

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Xantia towbar - wiring

Post by rmunns »

I tried the search on here but didn't really find what I wanted.

I have a 2000 Xantia Hdi90 saloon.

Would someone who has wired up Xantia II electrics for a towbar (trailer, 7-pin) please say where they picked into the car wiring? I've taken off the rear cover and exposed the wires that go across from one side to the other. BUt I can't see how to get at the LH and RH wires for lights and indicators.

The boot liner is so stiff it looks as if I'll have to do quite a lot of stripping covering plastic off before I can get at each side - is this necessary?

I did take out the offside rear light cluster, but that just has a blue plug with all the wires in and no way to get in at them.

I have got scotchlocks.
mongoose100
My Cars:

Post by mongoose100 »

I joined in the centre of the rear and just ran one wire to the rear of one of the clusters for the opposite indercator.

To be honest, it wasn't a difficult job at all
Regan.

2001 Citroën C5 V6
1994 Citroën Xantia 1.9TD
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I fitted and wired my '98 2.1 - but that was 13 years ago - memory!!!. Seem to recall the light units were connected up with ribbon wiring. I ran a Stanley knife down them to separate the wires, traced the wires from the bulb and used Scotchlocs on each wire.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

the OEM citroen towbar sits in effect on that ribbon (it really sits between the ribbon and the cluster) so that is the best way to do it. make sure you get a good earth though :)
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Don't do what the muppet who fitted the wiring to our estate (when new) did - used the factory kit but fitted the 'extension' with so little slack that it was impossible to pull the rear light cluster out to release the plug.
Yes, I know you can just about get at it from inside - but I tend not to notice a blown side-light bulb until it's dark and cold; it's so much easier to remove the cluster for the best possible view of what you're doing.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Re: Xantia towbar - wiring

Post by sparksie »

Hi all

I realise this is an older post, but it's the only relevant result from a search.
I had a little time available today and have a job for a towbar towards the end of the week.
I decided to wire up the trailer socket (7 pin N type) on the Xantia, so I can use that and bring the family along.
I located all the wiring for the tail lights in the OSR wing, inside the boot. Being in a hurry, I spliced in (properly! No Scotchloks) to the wires with the socket wiring loom. Ultimately, I'm going to have to revisit this as the car wiring is VERY thin and I'm not at all convinced of its ability to carry more than twice the usual current, when a trailer is plugged in. I'm going to have to fit relays, to avoid trouble in the future.
While poking around in the harness in the boot, I found a white 4 pin connector that has a permanently 12V+ pin, fed by a fairly thick grey wire. The other 3 pins don't appear to be connected to either chassis or B+, so I'm wondering what it's for. Actually hoping it might be a suitable source of power for my relays. Anybody know?
I'm also keen to wire up the trailer fog light, but I couldn't locate a convenient feed for that. Being in the tailgate, the wiring must be in the ceiling, but I certainly don't want to try and access it up there. I'm sure the factory kit doesn't require roof liner removal, so can anybody tell me where that picks up a fog light feed from?
Finally, it's not a good idea to have the car fog light working when drawing a caravan, or horse box, or similar, due to the glare from the reflection in the front of the trailer. Some factory kits automatically turn it off, when a trailer is plugged in. I don't have one I can readily inspect to see how they achieve this, though I imagine there must be a switch built in to the socket (not on mine, there's not), or a current sensing relay that detects the load imposed by the trailer lights and turns off the car fog light. Never seen one, but I could probably make one, if I put my mind to it. I'd need a place to interrupt the supply before it goes to the roof, whichever way it's done. Can anybody help with this?
Thanks for any help, as always
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD