Axle stands

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

Axle stands

Post by froggy »

Hi, I have just bought some secondhand , 2ton, axle stands. Never used axle stands before. Are there any does and donts? cheers Terry
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Using common sense is the key, ensure they are placed on solid ground and aren't pulled to one side when the jack is lowered so that they only rest on two legs, I then give the car a sideways shove to ensure that it won't slide off the stands and that the stands are supporting the vehicle under a solid section such as a jacking point/subframe etc. I always use solid blocks of wood on top of the stands to prevent the stands damaging the underside of the car. Also make sure that all welds on the stands are good and that the supporting pins are in good condition.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

Exactly what he said!^^
i always try and get them as close to the subframe mounts as i can to get a good solid spot,
on the bx it was possible to pop thke car up onto a 4" thick wooden beam, chuck it in high and get an axle stand in underneath, not tried that on the Xant yet!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The halfrauds axle stands are nearly perfect for working on a Xantia.
If you're lucky you can get them under the jacking points on their lowest setting (ie no pin) without needing a jack, otherwise I normally get the trolly jack under the subframe just behind the front wheels, there's one of the large nuts there which I put the jack's cup over so should it shouldn't be able to slip around.
Then I jack just enough to get the axle stand under the jacking point, gently lower, and repeat for the other side.
Then putting the car on low the front lifts up to normally give enough room to get under safely.

For the rears I do the same.
Rarely have I needed to go above the pin in the first hole.

I have seen one "mechanic" put axle stands on the flat of the subframe on the first or second hole, and lower the back, then dive under.
He was either made of braver or more foolhardy stuff than I, as I could visualise the car slipping (it did actually move a bit at one point!) and knock the stands over bringing the car down on him!

Personally I do not like to use blocks of wood unless I'm moving something directly up and down so the block/jack/car are all flat against each other.

I always try to jack/support on a section which isn't able to slip, such as over the nut on the subframe, or the jacking points which are curved to to take the tilting of the car into consideration when used properly, and have stops either side to prevent slippage (although often garages jack on these so they get folded/crushed).
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Axle stands are always good, I bought a set of Halfrauds advanced flavour stands -the kind with the sort of ratchet mechanism- worth their weight in gold in my opinion. As the above posters have said, put them on something sturdy that isn't going to slip.

Also never rely on one thing to support the car, double or triple redundancy all the way. i.e. when working under a front corner of my car, I always jack up at the jacking point, lower the car onto an axle stand at one of the suspension mounting points (leaving the jack at the jacking point) and put the road wheel I've removed under the car. So that if it slips off both the jack and the stand there's a wheel in the way. It'll hurt and It'll put you in hospital, but you're more likely to be alive when you get there.

Give the stand a bit of a gentle kick to make sure it isn't going anywhere too.

Also make sure you take the stand out from under the car before you put the wheel back on :D ... Or am I the only one that keeps doing that?

Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

:lol: no mate, me too :lol:

wheel under the jacked up area..rather squash a wheel than me head :wink: and forgetting the axle stands :lol:

Maybe it's as I get older, but now instead of years ago,just jumping under the car, it's well supported..jacks,axle stands, and now with this French suspension malarky, wood blocks under the cills..takes me half an hour just to feel safe to get under it nowadays :lol:

oh well, better late and safe than sorry, that's my motto :wink:

plus, there's only me works on the darned thing..so while they're (family) are all busy gaming, or watching 'very interesting stuff..' on tv, I could be underneath a collapsed car..so I'm uber carefull!
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Definately the way to go Dave. I have blocks made of railway sleepers for this. No car is coming down on me.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2