xud ignition fury

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ralph
My Cars:

xud ignition fury

Post by ralph »

I've got problems starting my Xsara '98 XUD 1.9td. The glow plugs are not being activated by a turn of the key. Instead I hear a click from the passenger side of the car. The glow plug dashboard light doesn't come on.
After a bit of faffing about turning the key, the light will come on, glow plugs do their job, off I go.
I'm thinking the problem may lie in the ignition barrel – it's been a bit crunchy in there from sand since a beach holiday in Cornwall, though that was a month ago, and the problem has only just begun.
Or would it be the glow plug relay? Thanks in advance of any help...
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Most likely the glow plug relay (timer). Known to have limited life expectancy.
Sand in the key barrel will not likely reach the electric switch block internals.
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Ralph,
Very easy to prove...just disconnect the ign feed from its terminal on the glowplug relay and replace it with a temp feed you've made from and old switch in the car.
ie Obtain a switch, fuseholder and several feet of wire. Make a connection to the battery +ve with an aux fuseholder, take the wire into the car to a simple extra switch somewhere handy. Take the feed back from the switch to the terminal on the relay the original ign wire came off.
Now you have full manual control to prove where the fault was. On older cars, where the glowplug position within the ign switch was the fault, I've known folks leave it like this to avoid changing the ign switch.
David
Thompatruck
My Cars:

Post by Thompatruck »

Ralph,
Had a similar problem on my ZX 1.9TD recently, sounds the same, turned out to be the immobiliser. If you've got one it's worth checking. In diesel cars there's not alot you can fit an immobiliser to, in my case the main circuit was working but the bit connected to my glowplug circuit wasn't, If you've got a problem with an immobiliser I'd suggest an autoelectrician because they're (as designed) not easy to play with!
otherwise as previously suggested it sounds like the relay.
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Thanks for the advice. I'll spend some time on it at the weeked if I can get home from work and hopefully post the outcome on Monday,
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

One of the old bills I got with my Xantia for a service says on it "Customer reported ignition needs to be turned on 4/5 times to get the glow plug light to come on"
Resolution was to "Supply & Fit new Glow Plug Relay"
HTH.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

I hope you get a photo of that on 200,000 :)
Bet it happens in some annoying place like on motorway
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

I intend to. The camera-equipped mobile phone is on order. Its just hit 199,300 this afternoon.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

The later (post '96 i think) diesels have a POST heat relay on them (not sure where its meant to be located, mine is duct taped to the main glowplug relay). This could be at fault? i think the main relay will still work if you unplug the post heat relay from its holder, may be worth a shot? cheaper than a main relay i suspect!!
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Since buying a new glow plug relay, the glow plugs have fired up as normal. So I'm keeping the new relay in its box until the problem resurfaces, and if all is okay the part is going back.
I'm thinking the problem might have been by dampness on the connector.