How to reset C5 2.2 Particulate filter's

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

How to reset C5 2.2 Particulate filter's

Post by DickieG »

Does anyone have a definitive guide on resetting the ECU on C5 2.2 particulate filters? I ask as I've had several attempts at doing this without success and still have one case ongoing ATM with a forum member.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Have you fitted a new particle filter & filled up the additive tank ?
If you have then you should set the amount of grammes of additive placed in filter to 0 & clear the fault codes in both additive ECU & injection ECU. Problem is this quite often doesent work & can require the replacement of the additive ECU.
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Thanks for that Wheeler, the filter and Eolys has been re-filled but despite trying to reset the ECU's the fault remains so it looks like a new ECU is required :roll: any idea of how much they are?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Assuming its a mk1 there are 3 different choices depending on RP number & they range between £69 - £140 +vat.
Its an easy enough job to change, it's located on the rear inner sill if you pull the carpet back a bit (cant remember which side off hand, but i think its the same side as the fuel cap is on) & its just held on with 2 10mm bolts
Just another thought, if you look at the live data of the fuel cap sensor on Lexia can you see it going between present & not present when you remove & re fit the fuel cap. if the cap sensor is not working correctly it can cause problems aswell.
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Thanks again that price isn't as bad as I'd feared, the car is a MK1 and funnily enough does have a problem with the fuel cap sensor as in it doesn't appear to be there so that'll be the next job on the list.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
kraM
My Cars:

Post by kraM »

A related 'biff' question...

Whilst crawling around under the N/S/R of my 2.2 HDi C5 the other day, I noticed something that looked like a small separate fuel tank, just under the rear left of the main tank.
It has a fuel pipe style clip holding a bung in place. Is this the Eolys fluid tank?
If so I assume that an ECU adds this to the fuel at certain times, to clear out the DPF?

And what is this switch on the fuel filler you talk about?

If the above is the Eolys fluid tank, can I not just top it up, and the ECU will never know?

Thank you for answering,

Mark
rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Post by rmunns »

(just the sort of thing that I am concerned about when thinking of buying a Citroen later than a Xantia - maybe a C5).

I need a car that does not have lurking big money expenses hanging over it. Like a lot of people, I suspect, I can't just throw around the odd £140 or so, especially if that might not even be the problem.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

rmunns wrote:(just the sort of thing that I am concerned about when thinking of buying a Citroën later than a Xantia - maybe a C5).

I need a car that does not have lurking big money expenses hanging over it. Like a lot of people, I suspect, I can't just throw around the odd £140 or so, especially if that might not even be the problem.
If you are going to do some or all of your own maintenance or even if you want to avoid being ripped off by less than knowledgeable garages best to factor in the cost of a Lexia to the purchase of the car, will add circa £150.00 to the price but will make all that comes after so much cheaper. That's what I did and do not regret the decision for one minute as it generally allows me to get to the nub of a problem first time everytime something that just would not be possible without one.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

rmunns wrote:(just the sort of thing that I am concerned about when thinking of buying a Citroën later than a Xantia - maybe a C5).

Theres a SIMPLE solution then.. DO NOT buy a S1 2.2 16v C5!! Buy a 2.o 8v HDi and fit a tuning box!!! Just as good, NO DPF - no FAP etc...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

kraM wrote:A related 'biff' question...

Whilst crawling around under the N/S/R of my 2.2 HDi C5 the other day, I noticed something that looked like a small separate fuel tank, just under the rear left of the main tank.
It has a fuel pipe style clip holding a bung in place. Is this the Eolys fluid tank?
If so I assume that an ECU adds this to the fuel at certain times, to clear out the DPF?
Thats correct
kraM wrote:And what is this switch on the fuel filler you talk about?

There is a magnet on the removable part of the fuel cap & a magnetic switch on the filler neck so that the FAP ecu knows when your removing the cap to fill the car with fuel so it knows when to inject additive.
kraM wrote:If the above is the Eolys fluid tank, can I not just top it up, and the ECU will never know?
The problem is the ECU's know that the additive injector is squirting in additive & how much it's squirting in so it can theoretically calculate when the level is low, hence the reason you need a Lexia to tell it you have filled it up.
kraM
My Cars:

Post by kraM »

Thank you for your replys, very useful, now for a rant...

:evil: do Citroen sit in their factory, thinking how can we phuq the poor father-less-children who purchase our boxes of sh1te that we call cars, after they've brought them? I know we'll devise a system so cunning you could nail a tail to it and call it a fox. Lets use a unique system that no one else has or needs. WHY?!? I know the UK had BMC, but at least they were so sh1te, they couldn't afford to encorperate crap electronic wallet drainers :x

Ahh, that'sslightly better,

Mark
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

I gave my solution just above, but, what would happen if you disabled the fuel cap pickup, or better removed the magnet??

It wouldn't know how many times you have opened the fuel cap then.. or would that not work either

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

citroenxm wrote:I gave my solution just above, but, what would happen if you disabled the fuel cap pickup, or better removed the magnet??

It wouldn't know how many times you have opened the fuel cap then.. or would that not work either
I don't know 100% but my theoretical answer would be that the system doesent inject or injects very little additive which would mean the FAP would clog up very quickly & cause a blockage + the engine management light on. Either way there would be some sort of malfunction. If the additive injector isnt injecting into the fuel then you would need to remove the insides of the FAP to stop it rapidly clogging.
kraM wrote: :evil: do Citroën sit in their factory, thinking how can we phuq the poor father-less-children who purchase our boxes of sh1te that we call cars, after they've brought them? I know we'll devise a system so cunning you could nail a tail to it and call it a fox. Lets use a unique system that no one else has or needs. WHY?!? I know the UK had BMC, but at least they were so sh1te, they couldn't afford to encorperate crap electronic wallet drainers :x
The short answer to that is that emmisions regulations are getting tighter all the time for new cars & there is lots of pressure on the manufacturers to meet them, these type of systems are fitted to reduce the amount of crap being released into the air & can help the car into a lower CO2 band.
The system is not unique, most other manufacturers that produce diesels that i can think of use DPF sytems on larger diesel engines & they do need them so they can meet emissions regs.
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

wheeler wrote: The short answer to that is that emmisions regulations are getting tighter all the time for new cars & there is lots of pressure on the manufacturers to meet them, these type of systems are fitted to reduce the amount of crap being released into the air & can help the car into a lower CO2 band.
The system is not unique, most other manufacturers that produce diesels that i can think of use DPF sytems on larger diesel engines & they do need them so they can meet emissions regs.
Yes, but the REAL Q is why is the Mk.1 2.2 16v so more un reliable then later systems on C5 1.5's?? FAP problems always seem to be assosciated with the first generation 2.2 engines, as with injector removal problems..

The later family of 16v HDi engines seem problem free (So Far!)

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

citroenxm wrote:Yes, but the REAL Q is why is the Mk.1 2.2 16v so more un reliable then later systems on C5 1.5's?? FAP problems always seem to be assosciated with the first generation 2.2 engines, as with injector removal problems..

The later family of 16v HDi engines seem problem free (So Far!)
I think you've answered your own question there Paul, "first generation" = unknown territory= unknown in the long term until things go wrong which we can then remedy. In other words let the customer do the testing as we need to rush this into production,,,,,,,,,,,
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH