Running on Veg

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MPV

Running on Veg

Post by MPV »

I've got a synergie and I've been taking advantage of Tesco's offer of £1 litre veg oil. I've gone up to about 30%, but between 1500 and 2000 rpm there's an increase in "diesel rattle" noise. Above 2000 rpm it sounds fine and I can get 43 mpg cruising at 65 mph on the motorway, which is pretty good I think for a people carrier. I notice some people here run at 100% veg, even waste oil. I was wondering if I have anything to worry about with the increase in noise at 1500 to 2000 rpm?

Also, I'm worried I might be getting air in the fuel system as even when running on normal diesel, it never accelerates properly. Someone here said about replacing the bulb and the diesel feed line with transparent pipe. What sort of pipe should I get and where can I get it from?

The fuel lines seem ridiculous, so many different bits of pipe and connectors and much longer than they really need to be. Leaks could potentially occur in so many places! Would it be a good idea to replace all this gubbins with a short single peice of tubing?

Does anyone know where I can find the fuel strainer for the Synergie? Do I need to pull up the rear carpet?

I've replaced the bleed off pipes on the injectors recently, including the terminator. Is it just me, or do other people find they have to replace their rubber terminator every 6 months or so? Has anyone just filled in the last injector hole with Araldite or something?

Thanks for your help!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Are you certain your engine has a bosch pump?

For clear fuel lines, I use silicon tubing from b&q
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
MPV

Post by MPV »

Hi Xac, yes it says Bosch on the side.

Does the silicone tubing swell if you have normal diesel in the tank?
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Not that I've noticed, it's still very flexible too so looks like it doesn't react with either derv or veg.

See if you can blow down the return line too, that can get blocked even on diesel.

I'd imagine the sender is under the back seat.

DIY sphere tool
MPV

Post by MPV »

I've used silicone parts in the past and the've swelled up in hydrocarbon solvents, so I wondered about it as a fuel hose. What diameter do you use?

As for the back seat, which one? lol, there are 5 to chose from!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Can't remember the diamerter, just measured it and went in and bought the closest to it.

Have a look under the car and follow the fuel lines back, that should give you an idea roughly where the sender access should be (unless the book of lies mentions it).

DIY sphere tool
MPV

Post by MPV »

Ok, I'll give it a try when I get the chance. You only use a realatively short piece, then use normal fuel hose for the rest?
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I only replaced the piping between the primer bulb and the pump.

DIY sphere tool
MPV

Post by MPV »

so you just changed the end from the primer bulb to the Bosch pump?

My primer bulb is connected more than a metre of rubber hose, then a plastic hose, then a connector connected to another bit of rubber hose to the filter housing, then more hoses of different materials from the filter to the Bosch pump. That doesn't include the various connectors and tubing connected to the pipe coming from the tank to the primer pump! I've also bought a primer bulb from Screwfix, in case there's a leak in the primer pump.