Passenger mirror

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mongoose100
My Cars:

Passenger mirror

Post by mongoose100 »

Has lost the ability to go up and down via switch, drivers moves in all directions, however passengers only moves sideways.

Will adjust (into useless position) when in Reverse.

Swapped ECU in door with a known good one today, still same issue.

Any ideas on where to start now?
Regan.

2001 Citroën C5 V6
1994 Citroën Xantia 1.9TD
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Regan,

Inside the mirror are two little motors. One for the X plane movement and one for the Y plane.

One motor may be gone west, which you'll be able to hear as silence either whhen trying to move the mirror straight up/down or left/right when only one motor operates.

More likely though is a broken end of the rack attached to the mirror body that engages with the pinion on the corresponding motor to move it.

They're made of that special Citroen brittle plastic and it only takes a relatively small knock to break it...

If that's not clear I have the bits of a motor assembly somewhere that could be used to illustrate it.

Repairs to the rack would be tricky but if a whole motor is toast it should be possible to replace it.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

Im assuming this is on a Xantia?

Sounds daft but mine had a similar problem, although I can't remember if it was limited to one side or both sides, where the connector on one of the switches came loose in the drivers door. There are two connectors that plug into the electric mirror switches, one coming out meant only left/right or up/down worked, can't remember which!
mongoose100
My Cars:

Post by mongoose100 »

Hi guys, I can confirm that both motors are working, when selecting reverse it moves up/down but into a useless position (unless I wish to gaze at the moon :(

With regards to the switch, if drivers mirror is behaving correctly, does that rule that issue out?
Regan.

2001 Citroën C5 V6
1994 Citroën Xantia 1.9TD
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Sorry to jump in on this one, but I posted this in a thread I started regarding changing the drivers door mirror and I haven't had a response. Maybe I'll have better luck here. My mirrors only go up and down, not left and right. I have changed the drivers mirror at the weekend due to getting it smashed and all of the wires appeared to be connected to the plugs behind the adjuster switch. I removed them for access and refitted them when I put it all back together anyway but still the same problem. Do the switches themselves fail?
95 Xantia 1.9td SX