C8 suspension strut removal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alden
My Cars:

C8 suspension strut removal

Post by alden »

Hi all
am just about to remove the d/s front strut, :roll:(Knocking noise over slightest bump) :? while it seems straight forward, the top nut is a barsteward to get at. :shock: Am asking has anyone previously done this, and is there an easy route. :lol:
BX 19 TRS
C5 SX EST 2.2
C8 2.0 SX
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i havent done a C8 strut,
are you sure its not just a drop link,

regards malcolm
alden
My Cars:

c8 suspension

Post by alden »

Hi thanks for reply :D
No its when you hit the slightest thing even a tarmac joint. sounds like hitting a hammer against summat. apparently its the mount plate that the internal working go kaput, but its strut of to remove , am hoping it will come of complete with strut as one, as the top nut on strut is under dashboard blended in with everything else under bonnet... nightmare :evil: :twisted:
link arms were done as first option
BX 19 TRS
C5 SX EST 2.2
C8 2.0 SX
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it looks like the are bolts holding the strut top mount to the body,

and usualy you drop the complete strut out then compress the coil spring and dismantle the top mount,

regards malcolm
alden
My Cars:

c8

Post by alden »

Cheers for that malcom, :D have got the mount now. :lol: will tackle it later in week as back on me shifts now. on closer inspection it seems straight forward (famous last words) :? :cd: from underneath. :wiggle: :wiggle:
BX 19 TRS
C5 SX EST 2.2
C8 2.0 SX
alden
My Cars:

c8

Post by alden »

hi malc..
Job done :P :D
came of no probs.clamped up and released it on bench, :shock: did that fly of under presure :sprint: theres a rubber mount inside plate housing that was shot to bits :missile: hence knocking sound ](*,) winding back was tricky but all went back no probs, all sorted and wife happy (for once) :dom:

cheers :wiggle:
BX 19 TRS
C5 SX EST 2.2
C8 2.0 SX
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024
My Cars: C8 2.2 Hdi Exclusive

Re: C8 suspension strut removal

Post by Rp0thejester »

Ive just done my C8s 2006 suspension. What a biatch!!!! First I damaged myself undoing the bottom strut bolts and then damaged myself whilst undoing the link rods as it rounded itself off. Out came the grinder, off come the link rod. Strut came out easy. On went the spring clamps, off came the spring clamps
20230527_162843.jpg
that hurt. On went the clamps, off came the old spring. Compressed new spring with clamps and was 50mm short of the compression needed to fit top hat, spacer and nut. So second set used to get compression needed. After that it was a simple job of reinstalling strut and jacking up brake disc so link rod could be attached to strut and tension bar.
20230527_162822.jpg
if your thinking of doing this job, your crazy!!!!!!!
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.