Xantia engine rattle

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Xantia engine rattle

Post by PicassoPigeon »

My Xantia R-reg 97 1.9TD A/C makes a rather loud rattling noise at low revs, or idle speed. The noise disappears when revs go above 14-1500 revs. It's a very deep grumbling sort of rattle from the inside of the car, and on the outside it has the same deep grumble, but with a "pocket full of change" tinkling as well. Apart from this noise the engine runs perfectly fine. Does not overheat, chug or otherwise play up. It came on very suddenly. Anyone know what could cause this noise?
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

When you say inside the car do you mean inside the engine compartment?
Is it possible to pin down a rough area for the noise?
Not something to do with the aux belt such as the belt breaking up, failed idler pulley, failing hydraulic pump, failing a/c comp or worse of all a loose crank pulley??
Or perhaps timing belt/tensioner problems?
This could be the early warning of something terminal so it needs looking at asap.
David
PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

It sounds like its from the belt area i can see the drivebelt wobbling when its making the noise, then when i rev higher than 1500 the belt is running fine.
cheers for the help
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

A loose or worn aux drivebelt will give this typical "chattering" noise that smoothes out after perhaps 1500rpm. Similarly a worn aux belt tensioner bearing will give a rattle that is absorbed by the diesel noise at higher revs.
This is the first area to look at really.
David
PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

The more i listen to it and look over the engine, it seems more deep down under where the fuel filter is. the engine does shake a bit and then smoothes out when you bring the revs up more.
Jonesy
My Cars:

Post by Jonesy »

One possibility worth checking may be the engine mounts.
PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

i have found a bolt missing from the hydraulic pump where it mounts onto the engine, with my head near by the noise is more loud here. could it just be a case of this missing bolt, or could it be the whole pump that is on its way out. everything still works fine on the car even with the noise problem.
thanks for your help so far, will go and get a new bolt and try later.
PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

Worry over! I have just put the new bolt in to the pump and its all ok now. thanks for your help with possible causes. I am now happy again[:D][:D]
What a noise from just one small bolt, i thought the engine was going to fall out soon.
thanks again, how wonderful this forum is.