CX synchros

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tedperkins
My Cars:

CX synchros

Post by tedperkins »

I have a 1977 CX2200 Pallas whose #3 synchro is gone, and the #4 is receiving the last rites.
I plan to rebuild the box, with a set of new synchros, and a remachining of the matching gears to mate with the new synchros.
Officially, replacement synchro sets for the CX 4 Speed box no longer exist.
But, through the rumour mills, I have heard the following cars' gearboxes used an equivalent synchro set:
CX 5-speed
C25/ Peugeot J5 van
XMtd and XM V6
Has anyone any experience with rebuilding CX gearboxes with a synchro set designated for another vehicle?
My hope is that there is a set of synchros that will indeed fit in the CX box, though catalogued under a different vehicle.
Thanks,
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Ted,
I presume this is the CX you bought in Australia, in which case it would be a 4 speed manual, is that correct?
If so, i feel you have been given incorrect info on the 5 speed box parts fitting it.
I've never done one personally, however, I'm led to believe that the 4 & 5 speed boxes are not interchangeable in the synchro department. This is not hard to fathom when you consider that the exhaust manifold isn't even interchangeable from a 2200 & a 2400 version (voice of experience) and that a variety of driveshafts again are there which interchange on some models & others you'd expect, they don't.
I understand however, that the c-matic transmission, which is basically a manual operating through a torque converter in lieu of a clutch is effectively a 4 speed box using 2nd, 3rd & 4th gears only, and I have heard that synchros in these & the 4 speed box are interchangeable. They may not be available new ex-factory but a lot of c-matics were scrapped unnecessarily so a good box second hand may not be such an impossible thing to find.
Just out of curiosity though, I often hear of people complaining of sick synchros & bemoaning the fact they no longer exist, but I often wonder if it is impossible to regrind the existing ones.
Back in teh days when I worked at a Toyota dealer, many moons ago, it was common practice to regrind the synchro rings by hand lapping them using valve grinding paste; this was on almost new cars and was found to be highly successful.
I have never done it myself, but is this a viable option??
Alan S
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Ted -
ShaneL (Australia) recently announced the CX-CD available for download here :
http://www.doublechevron.co.uk/
Besides a FULL genuine Citroen CX workshop manual - you may also find the FULL CX partslist
- both covering your '77 2200 Pallas.
It will take a while to download - & some time to read through - but you'll for sure be certain which sub-parts are interchangeable between main parts.
Added :
You'll find the similar doc's on the "D" models - try browse the partslist here - to find a possible match.