cleaning Engine bay

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

cleaning Engine bay

Post by Timmo »

right, i'm slowly starting on the great clean of the car, now as a newb to deisel thoguth id best check what bits are best to cover before attacking with gunk!!
generally the engines oily dirty fornm a few previous leak or two in prior ownership, just like to clean it up a smidge!!!
i seem to remember that deisels are better behaved when attacked with water but dont want to go mental and pressure wash it without checking!

so any tips on what best to cover would be greatly received!!!

ta muchly,

Timmo.
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Make sure the alternator, ECU box, battery and fuse box are well covered.

Be very careful not to get any water in the inlet tract so covering the airbox is a good idea too.

Then, after washing, blow-dry with an airline.

Personally, I'm not a great fan of Gunk. My choice is to get hold of a gallon can of brake cleaner (usually available from your local factor), liberally paint it on and then blow-dry off with an airline.

An alternative is normal household white spirit as used for cleaning paintbrushes. This is good if liberally painted on and then blow-dried off before it dries. This one is out for me as I'm allergic to the stuff but absolutely fine with brake cleaner.

The advantage of both brake cleaner and white spirit, being waterless, is that it's safe on electrical items. Don't go too heavy with either around the alternator though...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

On my desk at the moment I have an ECU pack from a Berlingo that a trade colleague has asked me to try and fix, a valet guy pressure washed it and nothing now works.

I've stripped the outer case off it and inside is drenched, not only that but it smells like the perfumed shampoo stuff that you can smell inside a newly valeted car.

So far I've found a couple of blown resistors and diodes but all I can do is replace them and hope that the actual chips have survived. G.
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

thanks guys!
jim, i picked the gunk up as i needed some cheap degreaser to use on the bike chain and cogs! was a tenner for 5l from the local wholesalers, normally i'd give one of my old trade mates a shout and get some trade cleaner but i needed some that wasnt so strong it would disolve concrete hahah!

gibbo, feel for you fella, have seen many an newby valeter open the bonnet and flood it with water and then wonder why it wont run!!!
i owrked as a valeter for many years 9used to run the cleaning bays for a couple of places down here) but have been out for quite a few years due to illness, so figured i'd enquire first!! most the modern motors are just plastic covers so reletively simple to do! :wink:

i'll have a good look over it and see if its worth doing or leaving as is!! :D
ta muchly!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor