SAXO DRIVERS SEAT MOUNTS

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DublinChris
My Cars: 1998 Series 2 - 1.9TD owned from '98 216,000+ miles
Previously BX19DTR, BX19TD, BX19TZD

SAXO DRIVERS SEAT MOUNTS

Post by DublinChris »

Hi looking for some advice. I have a 1998 1.0i Saxo which I have owned for considerable time. It has been used as a learner car for each of my kids. Being 1litre/no power steering etc meant very low cost to insure so good starter car.
Anyway problem has developed with front drivers seat mounts. The actual screw in fixing is well secured but the mount in the floor nearest centre of car seems to have loosened so now its getting a bit like a rocking chair. The mount seems to be a black coloured block but how is this secured and what is involved with fixing it before seat completely breaks away!!? :x
imperial21
My Cars:

Post by imperial21 »

Hi you could have 2 problems, Its common for the roller bearings in the seat adjuster / runners to come out which would cause your problem, also the floor can crack in the seat bolts area and need welding up.
Ifthe bearings have come out , which is an easy fix just unbolt the seat 4 torq boltes, idealy spray them underneath with some plus gas first,
To acess the seat bolts you pull the seat backand you should be able to see the front bolts once they are out pull the seat forward and the back bolts can be seen ! also dont for get to disconect the seatbelt pretensioner wire ( orange) once the seats out you can unbolt the runers from the seat if nessary but first try riggling the runners you should be easily able to tell if the bearings have fallen out. while the seats are out check through the holes in the carpet at the floor for cracks by the bolt holes, they are dangerious and the car can fail the mot for it.
Replacement runners are easily and cheaply available from the scrap yard.
1999 Xantia exclusive 110BHP !! Now RIP !!
2002 C5 estate 110 hdi, Happily sold on !!!
DublinChris

Post by DublinChris »

Thanks for your reply. Just to confirm that I do not believe problem is with seat adjusters/runners. The seat is moving backwards and forwards by the adjusters with no problems. The problem is where the front left side floor fixing is located. The fixing screw is well secured in its receiver, however it is this receiver which is loose. I can see a black block coming up through floor/carpet when I rock the seat backwards. I need to know how this block/receiver is fixed in place. Is there an adjustable screw/bolt mechanism accessible from underneath car or would there have been a weld holding it in place??.

THANKS
DublinChris
imperial21
My Cars:

Post by imperial21 »

The seats bolt through the runners and straight into the floor, I think the black bit you describe is the runner, The seat will wobble / rock with the bearings missing i work on a 106 with the same problem ! I have to admitt it does sound a bit like the floor has cracked but i think you need to remove the seat to check.
DublinChris

Post by DublinChris »

imperial21 wrote:The seats bolt through the runners and straight into the floor, I think the black bit you describe is the runner, The seat will wobble / rock with the bearings missing i work on a 106 with the same problem ! I have to admitt it does sound a bit like the floor has cracked but i think you need to remove the seat to check.
The square black piece is attached to the bottom of the runner and locates in the floor. The metal under floor has actually torn so that the anchor with thread has broken free of the metal normally securing it. the only thing holding the anchor is the top metal skin that the carpet is fixed to! Looks like I am going to have to try get a steel plate welded in place to take the anchor or receive another bolt option. Did you ever hear of the metal tearing like this before?

DublinChris
imperial21
My Cars:

Post by imperial21 »

At least its a nice easy welding job should nt cost too much ! Mostly i have seen what i call a split the metal has split from the bolt hole. Well done checking it out.