Total Hydraurincage

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lancia58
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Xantia 2.0 16V Automatic make year 2000 LHD
Citroen C4 THP Automatic make year 2009 LHD
Citroen C4 VTS 2.0 16V make year 2006 LHD

Total Hydraurincage

Post by lancia58 »

Hi

Is the “Total Hydraurincage” that is used to flash the Hydraulic system efficient ? Is it necessary to flush the system ? Is there another way to flush it ?

Thanks
Zohar
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "efficient". If you mean"does it work", then I guess the answer is Yes, and it certainly won't do any harm. I presume it has detergent properties to help dislodge impurities in the hydraulic system. Somewhere I've read that it doesn't have the full lubricating properties of LHM, but it's only being used for a short term flush.

Partly ignorance, partly idleness, I only changed the LHM on my Xantia for the first time at 150k, flushing the system and at the same time cleaning out the reservoir and filters. Some photos on the Forum show very dirty filters compared to mine.

If you kept losing LHM from the system (say, when working on the brake calipers), and replenishing with new LHM, then you might wonder if regular flushing was necessary, but I don't begrudge the occasional flush. In part, I'd be influenced by how dirty the LHM is, when bleeding the brake calipers, as this fluid is never circulated back round the system (the brake lines are dead ends).

We change engine oil, and transmission oil, on a regular basis, which removes those impurities held in the oil, so why not with the hydraulic system as well?

I'm sure someone could come up with another way to flush the system, but "Total Hydraurincage" is the approved oil, so why opt for a none-approved method?

Sorry for the ramble - hope it helps! :lol: :lol:
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Xantidote wrote:...Partly ignorance, partly idleness, I only changed the LHM on my Xantia for the first time at 150k, flushing the system and at the same time cleaning out the reservoir and filters. Some photos on the Forum show very dirty filters compared to mine.
Likewise, but at about 7,000 miles and 12 years-old when I changed the spheres. I'd only had the car for a few months and got a bit enthusiastic, cleaning the reservoir before bleeding the brakes. As what came out of the calipers first (straw-colour and dirty) was pretty horrible and I had a new 5L can of LHM, I kept on bleeding (with the suspension on low) until I got nice clean new fluid out of each caliper (O/S/R, N/S/R, O/S/F, N/S/F) then raised the suspension to high, topped up and did a session of citarobics.

IMHO, Hydraurincage is really only necessary when there's evidence that hydraulic valves are sticking and a flush may save removing and stripping down valves. Otherwise you've got to flush the system twice once to get rid of the old LHM, then again to get out the Hydraurincage.

My understanding is that Hydraurincage lacks the temperature-stability and anti-corrosion properties of LHM, but contains solvent/detergents to remove gum left by ancient LHM. We tend to forget that the calipers (the front ones in particular) get very hot as does the LHM in them. Over time this LHM breaks down but fortunately stays in the brake lines (until we force the pistons back when changing the pads.

So perhaps bleeding the brakes before changing pads is a good strategy?
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Post by rmunns »

I'm only just getting round to draining the Total Hydraurincage fluid and replacing with LHM. The Hydraur.... has been in for 5000miles. More than it ought to, I know.

I haven't bled through the brakes. Maybe I'll do that as I put in the new LHM.
Philjw
My Cars:

Post by Philjw »

Now that C5s have LDM, will hydraurincage be compatible or necessary?
Phil

05 C5 Estate 2.0 16v + 05 C4 Hatchback 2.0 16V
lancia58
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Xantia 2.0 16V Automatic make year 2000 LHD
Citroen C4 THP Automatic make year 2009 LHD
Citroen C4 VTS 2.0 16V make year 2006 LHD

Post by lancia58 »

I am curious to know how dirty ( if at all ) the Total Hydraurincage you are going to drain will be ? And how will it affect the riding comfort ( if it will ) ? Is the hydraulic flushing part of routine service or just a recommendation from Citroen ?

Thanks
Zoahr
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Part of routine servicing.
LHM should be replaced at 36K, Hydroflush used at 72K
However, most vehicles I've seen have never had their LHM changed (before forum member ownership), having brown or red LHM in their resevoirs that is well past it's use by date!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Xac wrote:Part of routine servicing.
Where did you get that info from? The handbook states 80k miles or 5 years for LHM and mentions nothing about Hydroflush :?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

DickieG wrote:
Where did you get that info from? The handbook states 80k miles or 5 years for LHM and mentions nothing about Hydroflush :?
I believe it's in the haynes manual
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Xac wrote:
DickieG wrote:
I believe it's in the haynes manual
Oh, the BOL.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

DickieG wrote:
DickieG, I also agree with Xac, LHM change every 60k km which would be 36k miles.
72 k miles Hydroflush is recommended. I think in mine, first Hydroflush was after 3 x 36k :roll:
If you do LHM replacements regularly the system stays in quite good condition.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

lancia58 wrote:I am curious to know how dirty ( if at all ) the Total Hydraurincage you are going to drain will be ? And how will it affect the riding comfort ( if it will ) ? Is the hydraulic flushing part of routine service or just a recommendation from Citroën ?

Thanks
Zoahr
*) When I have drained the Total Hydraurincage, I haven't seen any visible dirt/sludge etc. Color got a bit darker of course.

*) It didn't have a big difference in riding comfort. I was surprised actually how well it behaved under sub zero degrees.
We had a period when the temperature dropped below -15 degrees unexpectedly.
It lasted more than a week and suspension worked well 8-)

*) As far as I know it is a recommendation.

Check this pdf about HYDRAURINCAGE
---> http://www.lubadmin.com/upload/produit/ ... 1/4469.pdf
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

VertVega wrote:
DickieG wrote:
DickieG, I also agree with Xac, LHM change every 60k km which would be 36k miles.
72 k miles Hydroflush is recommended. I think in mine, first Hydroflush was after 3 x 36k :roll:
If you do LHM replacements regularly the system stays in quite good condition.
I know all about LHM changes, been there done loads including Hydraflush many times (never made the slightest difference) and have a very large store of LHM in my shed ATM.

I'm curious to know on what factual basis the 36k miles is based upon when Citroen state 80k or 5 years which is quite a difference. Nowhere that I can find including the genuine Citroen Xantia workshop manuals for the hydraulic systems make any mention of LHM @ 36K or Hydraflush @ 72k.

Yes obviously you change it sooner but then just like when Millers Oil offered oil quality checks where they sampled oil removed from engines by home servicing mechanics the condition/properties of the oil submitted for test were such that the vast majority of oil changes were being done far too early, thereby simply achieving nothing other than wasting money.

I'm simply wondering where these recommendations come from based upon fact and not personal preferences.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

FWIW, my Citroen Handbook (came with my S1) states that LHM be replaced at 36k/6 year intervals. However, haven't found any reference to flushing at all.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Spaces
Location: Rarely in one place for too long - Hebridean Islands and Yorkshire are my favourites
My Cars:

Post by Spaces »

Old-Guy wrote: We tend to forget that the calipers (the front ones in particular) get very hot as does the LHM in them. Over time this LHM breaks down but fortunately stays in the brake lines (until we force the pistons back when changing the pads.

So perhaps bleeding the brakes before changing pads is a good strategy?
Why not open the bleed nipples when pushing the pistons back in? This would solve two probs at once. Then a quick push on the pedal to clear out any old fluid in the pipes.
PeterN: "Honest John's forum put the last nail in the coffin of owning a 2000- car. Many were still servicable, but CR, DMFs and needing fault codes read because your horn doesn't work - no thanks. All my life I have generally understood cars - until now."