Rear suspension sinking when Xantia stop at downhill/uphill

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lancia58
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Xantia 2.0 16V Automatic make year 2000 LHD
Citroen C4 THP Automatic make year 2009 LHD
Citroen C4 VTS 2.0 16V make year 2006 LHD

Rear suspension sinking when Xantia stop at downhill/uphill

Post by lancia58 »

Sometimes when I am braking to full stop and the car is downhill or uphill the rear suspension sinking a bit , I don’t know if the related to the fact that when the engine stops the rear suspension sinking almost immediately ( sometimes it sinking after a while ) where the front suspension does not. The accumulator is one year old and any test I did for it indicates it is OK, I sat in the boot after stopping the engine at first the rear suspension went down . After 20 seconds or so the height went back to normal. The pressure regulator ticks every 50-70 seconds. Are these tests enough to state that the accumulator is OK , or there are more tests ? The accumulator is one year old. The car is none hyderactive 2.0 16v SX make year 2000

Thanks
Zohar
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Zohar

When you brake hard you change the suspension height, the level corrector detetects this and tries to correct it. It may be that the height correctors are sticking and taking a little while to respond, a few good squirts of WD40 over a few days should free them off.

Peter
lancia58
(Donor 2022)

Post by lancia58 »

Hi Peter

I lubricate the height correctors regularly, two month ago I lubricated them and check that they are free, and that the doggy bones are OK. It happens even if I don’t brake hard and on a very moderate slopes.

Thanks
Zohar
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Good man, I don't know many who do that - including me! The hydraulic system has so many potential internal leakage points that my advice would be if it drives OK leave it alone otherwise you could spend a lot of money and still not cure it. One of my XMs rear sinks directly you turn the ignition off but its been doing it for getting on for 100,000 miles - and it still drives OK.

Peter
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Mine does this occassionally on Motorway or major road slip roads, I tend to brake a bit late in my Xantia and I think braking hard and late makes this worse. if I brake earlier and for longer it doesnt do it. I'm with Peter on lubricating the linkages and use spray silicone grease periodically.
wax oil also helps to keep it corrosion free every four years.

its a citroen quirk a bit like the front end bouncing up and down on full lock thats why I like em'.
lancia58
(Donor 2022)

Post by lancia58 »

Just wander if this phenomena is normal or it indicates on some failure in the Hydraulic system ?

Thanks
Zohar
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

if its a leak your looking for drain out the lhm and fill it with hydraflush that'll surely find a leak. it did on mine.