Fuel Leak when priming Xantia 1.9TD 1994

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tomcoombs
My Cars:

Fuel Leak when priming Xantia 1.9TD 1994

Post by tomcoombs »

Hi

I am a long time lurker here and have not posted very much. I have relied quite heavily on the extensive archive of posts which have been very useful. I have now run up against a problem that the Search feature cant help me solve, and hope some of you lovely people might be able to help me.

My 1.9TD has developed a fuel leak somewhere towards the right hand side (viewed from the front) of the fromt of the engine - im pretty sure its not coming from the pump as the fuel runs across the right hand side of the sump from front to back when it is leaking.

Here is the odd bit it leaks a tiny bit all the time but my fuel ecconomy is still pretty good at around 40 to the gallon cruising at 80. when i squeeze the priming bulb however it seems to leak alot - fuel runs down the front of the right hand side of the engine and drips off the sump at quite a rate.

I also had a morning last week where once started the car drove 100 yards up the road stalled and wouldnt restart - until i pumped the priming bulb, it spilt deisel all over the road and started first time. The car doesnt really feel down on power and as i say fuel ecconomy is still pretty good - so i am a bit stumped.

Im pretty sure its not the fuel filter housing or the pipes from the primer - filter, filter - pump, as i have checked these with manometer and they do not leak - my next thought was leak off pipes - but would these leak more when the engine is primed than otherwise.

thanks in advance
Tom
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Tom

If its a Bosch pump it will likely be the leak of pipes on the injectors, easy enough to change if you can get to them. You should be able to buy a length of pipe from Halfords or a motor factors, just cut it to length. The end one is just for blanking, a short piece with a self tapping screw in the end will suffice.

Peter
tomcoombs
My Cars:

Post by tomcoombs »

That is the next thing i will do - does the priming bulb preasurise the leak off pipes then?

Does anyone have a diagram/schematic of the fuel system?
1.9 TD SX Hatch 1994 (Mauritus Blue + Cream Leather)
1.9 TD LX Break 1997 (White)
1.6i Daihatsu Sportrak EX (Red + Silver)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Yes, the leak off circuit of the Bosch system is directly connected to the pump supply so if the leak off's leak you can get air in the system, in fact that is very often the cause of air ingress.

Peter
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 1982 GSA 1299
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

Hi how did you get on with your leak give us an update please.

I had a similar leak and after changing the filter element and bottom "O" ring it still leaked :shock: .
So of with the housing again removed the fuel thermostat thingy at the bottom.
Be carful doing this as you dont want to damage the spring clip which holds it in, I teased it out using a sharp point (dart) on each tang in turn lever against the edge of the pump housing going around the clip a couple of times so as not to force it.
Replaced the "O" ring on the unit and put back together, make sure it is pushed all the way home and push spring clip back in place CAREFULLY.
Reassemble prime and away you go.
Others have said go to the scrap yard and get another unit, this is only required if you know there is a split in the unit or something is broken off.
otherwise replace the small "O" ring along with the large bottom"O" ring.
Both "O" rings can probably be had from bearing suppliers or your local motor parts suppliers for PENCE rather than pounds.
And now mine has been done it starts so much easier and is a much smoother drive 8-) .