Xantia not sinking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

Xantia not sinking

Post by froggy »

Hi, normally when I switch off my 1997 Xantia, the rear end drops down. Today it is staying up . Is it the anti - sink rear sphere at fault ? any advice greatfully received, cheers Terry.
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Terry

Its probaly a leaky height control valve which isn't today. One of my XMs does just the opposite, it normally drops like a stone but occaisionally stays up, when it does you only have to touch the valve lever and it drops.

Peter
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Terry, you'll be pleased to know that Xantias of the '97 era aren't supposed to sink, though many invariably do...

I don't know the ins and outs of the anti sink setup but I would imagine that for one reason or another, the anti sink valve has shut proper.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

One of the functions of the 'anti-sink' sphere is to make sure that the anti-sink valve closes properly. A simple check of the anti-sink sphere is to sit in the back of the car while the engine isn't running; in an estate it's better to open the tailgate and sit in the load-space. The car should go down, then rise up again after 10-15 seconds. If it sinks, but doesn't rise within 20 seconds, then the anti-sink sphere (ASS) is flat. The ASS should hold enough pressure reserve to repeat this at least once more. Replacement is an easy job.

If the ASS passes the test, your problem may be dirt in the hydraulic system. The LHM should be clear bright green. It may be time the LHM in the hydraulic system was replaced; basically you empty the reservoir, put in clean LHM and flush out the old LHM with clean. The proper way to do it is to do 2 changes, the first change is for Hydrorincage (special flushing fluid), run the car for 500-1,000 miles before replacing the Hydrorincage (which doesn't have the protective properties of LHM) with LHM.

The brakes need to be thoroughly bled each time because the brake lines are long dead ends.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)