Radiator Fan

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

carpy
My Cars:

Radiator Fan

Post by carpy »

Hi all, on a 2001 C5 2.0 HDi is there an easy way to check if the radiator fan works, I suspect mine doesn't.
Many thanks.
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

If you have air condition, switch it on and rad fans should start.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
carpy
My Cars:

Post by carpy »

Thanks for the reply. From what I can see I only have one fan and if I switch the air con on it does not move. The external temp sensor is currently reading over 100 degrees and I've heard this can affect the working of the air con.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

carpy wrote: The external temp sensor is currently reading over 100 degrees
That's warm for North Wales :lol: :lol: :lol:

A high external temperature may cause the fan(s) to run at full speed briefly when the aircon is initially switched on. That's the Xantia behavior.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
sifaan
(Donor 2020)

Post by sifaan »

carpy wrote:Thanks for the reply. From what I can see I only have one fan and if I switch the air con on it does not move. The external temp sensor is currently reading over 100 degrees and I've heard this can affect the working of the air con.
from what i've found on c5 tech docs, the high external reading will not stop the AC from turning on; however, if the outside is very cold, the AC should not come on - if it does, you could damage something; so the only consequence of a bad external sensor is that the AC might turn on when it shouldn't.
carpy
My Cars:

Post by carpy »

Is there another way of checking if the fan works that doesn't involve the air con or am I going to have to remove the bumper for a closer look :(
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Let the engine idle until the temperature gauge is slightly above half-way.
If the fan hasn’t started, idle for another minute or so until the gauge is obviously above normal, then switch off.
That’s the start of overheat, so let cool down with the bonnet open, and the fan is obviously faulty.
Still don’t touch the fan for about 10 minutes, it may change its mind and start spinning even with the key out.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It's an HDi Clogzz - fan cut in point is about 100°C - and it takes an awful long time at idle, even on a hot day, to get there!!
Richard W
carpy
My Cars:

Post by carpy »

Well I definately know it's not working now!!!! I was driving home from work and the temp gauge was in the middle, next time I looked it was in the red and a 'coolant temp too high' message came up. Stopped the car, opened the bonnet and watched as it boiled through the expansion cap, radiator fan completely unmoved :( Interestingly enough the radiator was cold, what's that all about. When it cooled down and was topped up and run again the radiator got hot, dodgy thermostat? Think the head gasket is leaking as well as the expansion tank keeps bubbling over, either that or a bloomin big air lock. Fed up now