Citroen Xantia 2.0L HDI SX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevestix8
My Cars: Xantia SX H.d.i 2.0L (S reg, 98)

Post by stevestix8 »

Hi All,

Have posted here before and got some good advice. Thought I would see if anyone is familiar with a problem that happened Fri.

The reversing lights at the back of the car have stopped coming on when I put the car in reverse.

We checked the bulbs both sides and all bulbs are working and wired connections look fine. We then checked fascia fuse box and all fuses are fine too.

We looked in a Haynes (which is the closest book to my car but is not exactly the same) and this says the only other thing it could be is the reversing light switch?

Has anyone got any info on where in the engine (references to removing the battery tray and air ducting?)

Is there a better fix than this, if not will I have to get a new switch?

Any advice is appreciated,

Steve
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 1982 GSA 1299
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

Hi is it a saloon or estate if its the estate then i can help you out 8-)?????.
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

If you remove the airbox and look on the top of the gearbox, you can't miss it. You may need to remove the battery tray to get a spanner on it but that might just be the Activa :twisted: There are pictures in the Haynes showing it but it is a two pin grey plug.

Before removing it, test it with a multimeter on the continuity setting. It should show infinite resistance (open circuit) at all times other than when reverse is selected when you should get a reading.
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
stevestix8

Post by stevestix8 »

Hi,

Thanks for quick responses. no not an estate.

Will go and have a look, removing air ducting and see if I can remove switch easily.

Thanks again,

Steve [/i]
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

With the lead disconnected make a jumper from a bit of wire and short the contacts (in the plug on the end of the lead). Reversing lights will work as long as there are no other faults, confirming that the reversing light switch is borked.
stevestix8

Post by stevestix8 »

Hi All,

Thanks for responses.

Found the switch in engine compartment and we did the test with the bit of wire creating the 'bridge'. This test confirmed the light system itself is working fine and that it must be the switch.

Went online and europarts have got new reversing light switches for my car, for about a £10 all in. Have ordered one and should get by Weds, will remove old one and fit new one then.

Many thanks again,

Steve