Replacing EGR valve- C5 Mk2 2.0HDI 138bhp

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fred1

Replacing EGR valve- C5 Mk2 2.0HDI 138bhp

Post by fred1 »

Hi,

Anyone changed the EGR valve on a C5 Mk2 2.0HDI 138bhp ?

Can you tell me how to get at and remove/refit the the bolt that fastens to the EGR from underneath.

I can get at and remove the two long fixing bolts, the two cooler flange bolts and the two outlet pipe flange bolts but can't see how to get at the underneath bolt.

I can just see it (with one eye!!) when looking up thru the slot at the rear of the front subframe- it looks like an m6 socket head cap screw (looks like hex socket, don't think it a torx).

Cannot get my hand with spanner onto it from above (even it I sit on the engine!).

Only way I can think of (and it is not certain that there is a straight path) is to weld a 5mm hex bit onto the end of a 6mm bar about .7m long and use a socket/spanner on the end of that to release the bolt.

If that does work refitting may be more of a problem - probably need to super glue the cap screw onto the hex bit.

Regards

John
fred1

Post by fred1 »

Hi again!

So one last check - Has no one removed the EGR on this model ????

John
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Do you know the code for your engine? is it a DW10BTED4 say?

There's some info on Citroen Service and a few I've looked at for different diesel engines appear to advise that the EGR valve is removed along with the EGR, water cooled, heat exchanger.

The lack of replies on this one probably indicates that you're the owner of a relatively new Citroen. One which most of us won't be owning and taking to pieces for some time yet.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
fred1

Post by fred1 »

Hi,

Thanks Kev

Yes it is a DW10BTED4.

I don't think removing with the cooler would help.

The EGR set up on the DOHC 2L HDi is different from that on the SOHC 2.0L HDI and from that on my older 2.2HDi C5

The cooler bolts onto a flange at one end and is easy to remove and you do not need to disturb the water circuit.

The only bolt I can't get at is a small M6 (a M6x 20 from the Citroen Service parts list) located under the EGR.

This problem M6 screws into a threaded hole in bottom of the EGR after passing through part of the EGR mounting bracket (it may also retain a cable/pipe support/clamp, however it appears to be rather short to do this.)

Diagrams on citroen service are not very helpful as they only show EGR bits and bracket, not other system bits attached.

Currently I have turned off the EGR (closed) by simply removing the electrical connector (there is no vac supply to the 1618GZ EGR) and have an improvement of about 5mpg and none of the previous hesitation at part throttle around 2000 rpm!! However, I do have the depollution failure message up and engine warning light on - not sure if these are MoT problems or not ???

As a temp MoT solution I can reconnect and clear faults with Lexia and hopefully the EGR will not alarm (normally ok till engine has been hot for a while)

However, I do need to replace the valve in the longer term (even if I then opt to run with it normally disconnected).

I assume the EGR plays a part in getting the exhaust temp high enough for FAP regen - so I will need to keep an eye on that and filter status via laxia.

Any thoughts or comment welcomed !

Regards

John
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

In Citroen Service can you see the 'repair' info which gives you a stage by stage procedure to remove the EGR with diagrams, or, do you only see the parts drawings?

I've created a WORD document with a few screen prints cut and pasted if that's any use. I can email it to you if you can't already see it.
Cheers, Kev

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

fred1 wrote:However, I do have the depollution failure message up and engine warning light on - not sure if these are MoT problems or not ???
Not yet but it looks like it will be next year.
fred1

Post by fred1 »

Hi, Kev thanks

I have only looked at the free documentation on citroen-service so far, accessing the pay area was my next port of call failing a solution from FCF.

I would appreciate your info even if (as I expect) it is not directly relevant to my car. It will help me in seeing what is available on C-S and help direct my search and download there.

I will be happy to share whatever I download (on here and on the files area of Yahoo C5-L.)

My email is -removed-

again, thanks for the help.

John
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Hello Fred1

Email sent to you.

Maybe you should edit your last message now to remove your email.

I don't fully understand why, something to do with Spammers ( I prefer Corned Beef :lol: )
Cheers, Kev

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

KevMayer wrote:Hello Fred1

Email sent to you.

Maybe you should edit your last message now to remove your email.

I don't fully understand why, something to do with Spammers ( I prefer Corned Beef :lol: )
Bots can seek out email addresses and then spammers deluge you with - spam :?

In it's current form it is ok.
fred1

Post by fred1 »

Hi,

Kev - Many thanks for the info.

Myglaren- Thanks for sorting my email error - Would appreciate it if you could edit it out completely or how can I edit an existing post ?

Thanks

John
John

Currently - 2006 C5 II 2.0HDI 16V, C5 2002 2.2HDI and C3 1.4HDI 16V, 1996 1.0AX.

Past Cit & related - 1985 Talbot Horizon 1.9D, 1983 2.0 CX Familly Est, 1986 BX 1.9D, 1994 Xantia 1.9TD (died last year at 380K miles)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

You should be able to hit the "Edit" button on the top left of your post and go from there.
Will delete it for you anyway - the Edit function may be time-restricted, it is on most forums.