Leaky rear strut unit.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kraM
My Cars:

Leaky rear strut unit.

Post by kraM »

Stupid question (maybe)

The O/S/R strut assembley on my C5, 2002, 2.2HDi, Estate is weeping, well the rubber boot is moist. Is there a seal that could have gone, or is it time for a new unit?
I have worked in the Mechanics trade for 14 years, and have only had the 'luck' to work on a few older citroens, so have no knowledge of this new fancy fangdangled HydraActive marlarky*.

Also, how do I check the suspension fluid level?

Thank you for your time,

Mark.

* I know that a Clutch on a 1987 BX 1.9GTi is a B@$t47d of a job, and the spheres on a Xantia are no where near as bad as everyone makes out.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

On mine the gaiter had a slight nick in it that produced the same symptoms as yours, slightly worse perhaps as there was a visible slight drip.

Replacement gaiter was around £12.

To check the LDS, drop the suspension to low, remove the left hand cover in the engine bay, clean around the top of the LDS reservoir thoroughly before removing the cap.

Inside is a conical strainer with a series of slits rising from the bottom of it, alternating short and long ones.

With the suspension on 'LOW' the LDS should be about halfway up the shorter series of slits.

Use only Total LDS to top up if required.
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi All

I have the same problem on my 2001 c5 it seems to be coming from halfway down the strut unit just in front of the gator and is damp,.... when it was on the ramp this morning LDS was dripping from the strut when it was depressurised Citroen say the strut needs replacing does it need this or can i get away with just replacing the gator? also do you know where the bump stops are on the rear suspension?

As i have a terribile clunk coming from the back end and the trailing arm bearings and wheel bearings are fine and so is the antiroll bar bushes and subframe mountings are ok too

regards pete
Drives
51 Reg Citroen C5 SX 2.0 16v
birksy
My Cars:

Post by birksy »

I had this problem and the dealer recommended a new strut assembly.

I checked on the http://service.citroen.com (official service site) and the diagnostics recommend a new replacement screw clamp instead of the spring clamp. Its like a jubilee clip made of wire rather than flat. Just under a tenner.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I get the impression that they recommend strut replacement in most cases but are probably just covering themselves.

As long as the strut isn't scored or corroded then a set of new seals are quite inexpensive.

Car must be taken when fitting them as very slight scuffing can cause leaks.

Try the new clamp as advised by birksy first though.
birksy
My Cars:

Post by birksy »

I get the impression they recommend strut replacement as its more expensive.

When I looked at the drawings of the disassembled unit the whole thing consists of 11 parts including screw bellows spheres etc. If the weeping is coming from behind the bellows (betwixt rubber and the strut) then suspect that a modified clamp (£10) is required. This i found under diagnostique in once i had paid for access. (The strut diagram is free.) Put in your chassis number and the system will know your car.

Otherwise perhaps the seals which come in at under £5 for all three.

Part no 5272 18; 5272 29 & 5272 31.

Replacing the unit is unlikely to be necessary unless it has accident damage to the strut or its faulty in a its bent kind of way.
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Can this Strut Cause a Knocking noise if its Leaking ?
Drives
birksy
My Cars:

Post by birksy »

Don't know to be honest.

I would have thought anything like that would be more than a leak and more like a failure of the unit.

Is your bump stop in place and intact? It pushes into the body and is a a cone (almost spring-like) shape? If the wheel arm? could it be that it is hitting the body if the struts not firm enough?
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi birksy

Well ive had a look underneath and the bump stops are in place and ive been advised to get the strut changed ASAP as its leaking badly and this will put more pressure on the other side and i think you may have nailed it when you said......the unit has failed i think this is the main problem here ill get it changed and see how it goes the cost of replacement including fitting is £149 from my local garage which i think is resonable for this job when i will have it done at the end of this month
Drives
kraM
My Cars:

Post by kraM »

Thanks for your help on this one. GSF do the struts for £95 all in, Citroen £95 + VAT. £150 sounds a good deal for fitting too, as they'd have to replace some of the fluid, and that's a tenner a bottle!

Mark

(Who will be crawling around under a citroen this weekend :( )
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi Kram

I know you have the same problem as me there,s just one thing i need to ask do you get a knocking from the rear end of the car from the strut or is it just leaking ? ive been told to get mine done ASAP by Citroen Because it Could blow the other side

Pete
Drives
kraM
My Cars:

Post by kraM »

Sorry for the late reply Pete,

I do not get any knocking from the rear of the car, just a loud thud/bang front the front when I come off speed humps.

Cheers

Mark
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi Mark

Ive just had the leaking rear strut replaced and the knock is still there the mechanic who did the job at first thought it was the exhaust but ruled that out now on further examination looks like it could be the strut piston rods were they join onto the rear trailing arm there,s a little ball joint there and its worn the side that has been replaced has very little play but the other side has loads of play he thinks this is were the problem lies so now i need another new strut or a new piston rod if i can get one.

Mark it sounds like you need to get the front ball joints and drop links looked at, Here,s a tip depressurise the system jack the car up and check these again as its no good checking them with the pressure on as everything will seem ok mine was like that....... take the pressure off and then have another look i hope you find the problem let me know

Pete.......................
Drives
kraM
My Cars:

Post by kraM »

Thank you, Had a good wiggle with everything yesterday, and all seemed well. Going to be brave / stupid and go for the spheres, as the ride is starting to get harder and harder.

Cheers

Mark
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi Mark

How did you get on replacing the spheres? i have the proper tool here for getting them off ive cured mine........ I part exchanged the car for another c5 2.0 litre SX :lol: the problem was with mine it turned out to be the trailing arm bearings on both sides were gone

Pete..............
Drives